i
r
r
jules15 jules15
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
hello!
I already know that a glycosidic bond occurs when two glucose monomers (or more) come together to form disaccharides or polysaccharides... and that an ester bond forms between fatty acids and glycerol. However, they all give out water, and how can I identify if a bond is glycosidic or ester?Neutral Face??
Imagine I was supposed to identify an unknown organic compound---> how to know what type of bond it is?
Read 283 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I am studying this at a-level at the moment.
You will have to find out what the 'organic compound' is first by doing a variety of different tests, like the starch test. If it becomes positive then you know it is a starch product and has glycosidic bonds.
If it comes up negative you will have to do the test for lipids, and if that is positive then it could be a fatty acid and glycerol like you said and therefore would be an ester bond.
There is no point in working out what bond is involved if you don't know what substance or solution it is.
wrote...
11 years ago
Biochemical tests will show this such as test for reducing sugars, starch and lipids, you would have to go on the positive and/or negative results of the testing Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1073 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4