i
r
r
microbeman microbeman
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
Hi,

This is from Microbiology: An Intro 10th ed. by Tortora, Funke, Case. Clinical Applications Ch. 2, p. 53:

#4. The antibiotic amphotericin B causes leaks in cells by combining with sterols in the plasma membrane. Would you expect to use amphotericin B against a bacterial infection? A fungal infection? Offer a reason why amphotericin B has severe side effects in humans.

Thanks.
Read 8115 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Amphotericin B would not work against most bacteria because they lack sterols. Fungi have sterols and are generally susceptible to amphotericin B. Human cells have sterols.
microbeman Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Excellent...makes sense.

Just wanted to elaborate a little further from my reading that sterols are important constituents of the plasma membrane animal cells, are also found in fungi and plants, and only found in one group of bacteria (mycoplasmas).

Cheers again!  Slight Smile
a
wrote...
12 years ago
I HAVE TEST BANKS AVAILABLE
Microbiology - An Introduction, 10e (Tortora Funke Case) Test Bank questions and answers. Science of Nutrition (Whitney) 12e also. $20 each. Samples available. Email me at adrianfilanowski(at)yahoo(dot)com
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1265 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431