r
d
l
a
shaunabrooke shaunabrooke
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I have completed some of the review sheet for the PhysioEx Exercise 12: Serological Testing, but I am having trouble with a few questions and would appreciate any help if possible!! For the ELISA section: 14. In  the "sandwich" analogy of the direct ELISA, what is the "bread"? What is the filling? I see where it talks about the "sandwich" in the beginning of the exercise, but I don't really understand what would be the bread and what would be the filling. It says that "If the antigen is present, a "sandwich" of antibody, antigen, and secondary antibody will form". Does this mean that the antibody and secondary antibody would be the "bread" and the antigen would be the filling? Please help if you can! Thank you so much!!
Read 3825 times
6 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Hi there,

The secondary antibody binds to the constant region of the primary antibody. It is specifically prepared to do this so that it can detect the presence of the primary antibody in the patient sample.

Please state the activity in which this question stems from.
shaunabrooke Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Thank you for your help! This question comes from the Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay section of PhysioEx Activity 12 (Serological Testing). I know what the antibody and secondary antibody do, I just didn't know if anyone had the answer to those two questions, because all it said in the beginning was that it was a "sandwich of antibody, antigen, and secondary antibody." I was looking back through the exercise and noticed I also couldn't find the answer to the question in Activity 2 (Ouchterlony Tehnique) that states: What role does albumin usually play in serum? If you have any insight into this question as well, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!!
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free