t
i
r
r
MrBlue MrBlue
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Meg Campbell teaches high school physics in a private Christian school in a middle-class, suburban community. Her best friend and roommate, Chris Gustafson, teaches second grade in a public elementary school in the same community. Today, both are planning to attend a meeting in which the state's governor will propose that the state adopt a school vouchers program.

Meg meets up with Chris just outside the high school auditorium, which is filled to capacity. They find seats just as the governor is being introduced. "Thank you, Principal Ledderman, for that fine introduction," the governor begins. "Let me say that I am here to tell you about a proposal I will take to the legislaturea proposal for school vouchers. I think that a school vouchers program will revolutionize education in this state because it holds schools accountable. Because taxpayer dollars are given directly to parents to give to a school of their choice, school vouchers will increase competition, thus making all schools, or those that survive, better institutions. We practice this in business, why not our schools? In addition, vouchers will give money to poor kids who need to escape from ineffective urban schools. It will give them a chance to get away from schools that aren't making it."

Chris, who is opposed to school vouchers, raises her hand. She asks the governor, "Aren't public schools held to different standards than private schools? We have to be licensed by the state, meet state and federal mandates about, for example, special education, and we have to accept all students. How can public schools compete with schools that have fewer regulations?"

"The differences shouldn't matter," replied the governor. "You've been trained to teach under a variety of circumstances; at least that's what the university people tell us. Public schools have been able to do what they want for too long. Some healthy competition would make them better. How could you be against that?"

Meg questions the governor next. "I work in a Christian school. What about the separation of church and state? Would vouchers for my school be constitutional?"

Before he can reply, others speak up. "How can you say that poor kids will benefit? If the state gives them a couple of thousand dollars, but it costs $10,000 to attend a private school, how can this help?"

Using information from the text, continue the discussion by listing advantages and disadvantages of vouchers. Include in your discussion information from the text about special populations who might be affected by such a practice.
Read 288 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
DarknightDarknight
wrote...
Top Poster
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free