t
i
r
r
miche37 miche37
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I'm in grade 10 and missed the day of school where they talked about polyatomic ions. I asked the teacher when I got back if she could explain and she only told me to talk to someone else or look through the book, so I did both, and neither were thorough yet understandable explanations.
Please help! Thanks!
Read 332 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
A polyatomic ion simply means there are two or more atoms bonded together that have an overall charge. For example, nitrate is NO31-, which means 1 atom N and 3 atoms O are bonded together and overall the number of electrons is one greater than the total number of protons in the group, giving it an overall charge of 1-.

Many polyatomic ions contain oxygen. The formulas of polyatomic ions, including their charges, must be memorized. Your instructor should tell you which ones to memorize. Some common polyatomic anions ( - ions) are:

nitrate: NO31-
nitrite: NO21-
sulfate: SO42-
sulfite: SO32-
carbonate: CO32-
acetate: C2H3O21-
chlorate: ClO31-
phosphate: PO43-
hydroxide: OH1-
cyanide: CN1-
bicarbonate (or hydrogen carbonate): HCO31-
bisulfate (or hydrogen sulfate): HSO41-
chromate: CrO42-
permanganate: MnO41-
dichromate: Cr2O72-

The only common polyatomic cation (+ ion) is ammonium: NH41+.

To memorize these ions, cut recipe cards in half. On one side of each card write the formula of the polyatomic ion; on the flip side wirte its name. Put a rubber band around these and carry them with you. When you have a minute or two, practice on learning the names of the formulas and also on learning the formulas for the names.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  910 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?