r
d
l
a
rivertube rivertube
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
11 years ago
HELP!!  I have to learn ( not memorize like my teacher said) 24 chemical formulas and I think they are polyatomic ions.  I have the whole summer to memorize them but the formulas and names are so similar, I don't think I will be able to learn them all without a good study method... Any suggestions?
Read 232 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
make each letter stand for something for example CO2 is come on and make a story with all of them.it might take a while to think of words easy to remember for all of them but when you have your little story it should be easy from then on.it would be even easyer to get the words to rhyme.
wrote...
11 years ago
Something like sulfate, sulfite and sulfide are systematic, and carry over into other polyatomic ions.

Sulfate = SO4,  sulfite = SO3, Sulfide = S

Chlorate = ClO3, chlorite, = ClO2, chloride = Cl

Nitrate - NO3, nitrite = NO2, nitride = N

Phosphate = PO4, phosphite = PO3, phosphide, = P

Now why didn't I give you something like -NO, -ClO ?  Well, nitroso and hypochlorite, but I didn't want to confuse you.  Some you simply have to learn.

Now, in the above examples, all anions, I have not listed the ionic charges.  Awkward to do in Y/A.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1093 People Browsing
 134 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?