S
m
s
tedgress tedgress
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
Can you tell me if this would work?

Suppose you run copper wire "dip" the wire into the Petri dish and out of it and ground it. Then apply voltage to the copper wire. Should you do that and run a wire to a from the Petri dish and run it to an oscilloscope. What would show up on the oscilloscope?
Read 154 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi tedgress

Here's the visual I'm getting from your explanation

Why would you do this?

tedgress Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Well because I want to know if I can jam an EM wave in a petri-dish. Its an experiment. I want to know if I put a copper wire with voltage through petri-dish and find a way to jam that signal.
1. Petridish
2. Solution in Petridish
3. Run copper wire #1 at voltage a
4. Reading copper  #1 EM wave
5. Wire #2 EM wave at frequency so it is the same so the waves cancel
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I see, if the solution is a conductor, the electrons will pass through the solution with minimal lose of electricity.
tedgress Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Well the idea is to have something in the Petri dish that has extremely low frequency (10Hz to 20 Hz). The copper wire is to send a jamming frequency  and cancel out or overjam and fry the thing in the Petri dish. Is this possible?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Well the idea is to have something in the Petri dish that has extremely low frequency (10Hz to 20 Hz).

Frequency, as in what, sound?

You want the electricity to "overjam and fry" the medium.

Sorry, I'm just really confused about your question, just would like some clarity
tedgress Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Sorry I have a bad habit not to go into detail.
I want to conduct an experiment. So it goes like that:

"The discovery—in viruses that attack Bacillus bacteria—marks the first time that any type of viral communication system has ever been found. But researchers say that many other viruses could communicate with each other through their own molecular languages—perhaps even viruses that are responsible for human diseases. If that is the case, scientists might have found a new way to disrupt viral attacks." Scientific American

The experiment:
The workflow for the tobacco (instead of a deadly virus like COVID)
1. Obtain Tobacco virus.
2.Obtain Petri dish and distilled fluid
3. Sterilize Petri dish
4.We are preparing the petri dish to test the virus language (may be different languages)
5. A wire is run through the dish, one end suspended and grounded
6. The wire is hooked up to an EEG and the signal is recorded.
7. The viral solution is put in the petri dish.
8. A power supply is hooked up.
9. An oscillator is hooked up to a power supply to supply a carrier wave. Creates an alternating current on which the transmitter will  transmit.
10. A modulator provides useful information to the carrier wave.AM amplitude modulation slight increases or decreases or FM slightly increase or decreases in the frequency.
9.A device is hooked up to slow the radio waves to between 20Hz and 10Hz
10. The frequency is recorded
11.Deep Learning is used to analyze the patterns in the frequency (language)
12.A device is used to send an  EM pulse whenever the opposite of it fires.
13. The EM pulse device fires.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I don't think this method is valid.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-you-speak-virus-phages-caught-sending-chemical-messages1/

Based on this article, the viruses you're referencing are bacteriophages - these are viruses specific for infecting bacteria, not human cells. Therefore, the tobacco virus can't be used as a model, given the research is based on phages.
tedgress Author
wrote...
3 years ago
The model is flawed, but is the method valid?  I"m interested in the method, and model, but primarily method. Suppose the viruses were infecting human cells ( I never would do this ) and with a virus  hypothetically the method outlined work?

Think of it as a thought experiment.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi again,

None of it will work. Viral language isn't something that's picked up as a radio wave. By "language", the author is proposing that when the virus infects a host cell, it releases chemicals that allow subsequent infectors to know that the cell is compromised. Furthermore, like all viruses, bacteriophages bind specifically to recognition molecules on their host bacterium, inject their genetic material and hijack the bacterial cell's replication machinery. There's no need for electricity to aid in this process.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  962 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 585