n
a
C
s
m
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
2 years ago
The following figure illustrates the production possibilities curve of a farmer who has to decide which quantities to produce of wheat and rice. Three possible production combinations—A, B, and C—are also marked on the figure.

a)   Which of the three combinations of wheat and rice, marked on the graph, is both efficient and attainable? Explain your answer.
b)   Calculate the opportunity cost of producing both wheat and rice.
Textbook 

Microeconomics

Edition: 1st
Authors:
Read 33 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
wrote...
Top Poster
2 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything.
a)   Point A on the graph represents a combination that is attainable but not efficient. This is because, given the available resources, the farmer can produce more of either wheat, or rice, or both at point A. Point C is unattainable as it lies outside the farmer's production possibilities curve. This implies that the farmer does not have enough resources to produce the combination represented by point C. Point B is both attainable and efficient as it lies on the farmer's production possibilities curve, which implies that the farmer is using all of his resources efficiently to produce the 400 pounds of wheat and 600 pounds of rice.

b)   The opportunity cost of producing 1 pound of rice = 10/10 = 1 pound of wheat.
The opportunity cost of producing 1 pound of wheat = 10/10 = 1 pound of rice.
This verified answer contains over 140 words.
Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.