r
d
l
a
nursenor nursenor
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Say a company wasn't issuing dividends and then they called their preferred stock.  Would they have to pay the dividends before they called the stock back? I know it is unlikely but I was wondering. Or would I still be owed the dividend money for past years and receive it when they declare their common stock dividend?
Read 524 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
1.  Your question pertains to cumulative dividend due on the  Cumulative Redeemable Preference Shares.

2.   Preference shares do not participate in a company?s profits in the same way as equity shares do in that their rate of dividend is fixed.

3.   If the company makes no profit or inadequate profit, dividend to equity shareholders being discretionary, can be skipped, but the preference shareholder?s dividends are due and are accumulated till such time as the company can declare a dividend, when the preference shareholders? accumulated arrears of dividend have to be paid first, before any distribution can be made to equity shareholder.

http://www.sharemarketbasics.com/Terms/Cumulative-Redeemable-Preference-Shares.php

4.  Therefore, if, at the time of redemption, some dividend is due to the preference share holders,the cumulative dividend will be paid later when a dividend is declared on the equity.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1094 People Browsing
 116 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?