S
m
s
decadidymus Val decadidymus Val
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago

Hi there.
I am currently working on a discussion paper about the effects that light has on Euglena gracilis. One of my observations were that the Euglena who were exposed to light moved faster than those who were kept in the dark. I have put this down to photokenisis. I got that far, however I have not found any sources that explain photokenisis in Euglena.
What causes them to move faster in the light? And what is the mechanism behind this?
If you could answer with a source that would be very much appreciated! Slight Smile
Kind regards,
Sam
*I know this is an odd place to post this question, but for some reason I can't post t anywhere else
Read 532 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
I don't think that's the correct explanation. That's related to plants, I think. I've never heard it described for protists.
wrote...
Staff Member
6 years ago
Euglenas are protists that are autotrophic. These means that they produce their own food. In order to do this, they must use photosynthesis. Therefore, euglena have light sensitive receptors in order to know where to move to carry out photosynthesis.
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
6 years ago
Correct, it has to do with their photoreceptor.

The eyespot apparatus is a photoreceptive organelle found in the flagellate or (motile) cells of green algae and other unicellular photosynthetic organisms such as euglenids. It allows the cells to sense light direction and intensity and respond to it by swimming either towards the light (positive phototaxis) or away from the light (negative phototaxis).

A related response occurs when cells are briefly exposed to high light intensity, causing the cell to stop, briefly swim backwards, then change swimming direction. Eyespot-mediated light perception helps the cells in finding an environment with optimal light conditions for photosynthesis. Eyespots are the simplest and most common "eyes" found in nature, composed of photoreceptors and areas of bright orange-red pigment granules. Signals relayed from the eyespot photoreceptors result in alteration of the beating pattern of the flagella, generating a phototactic response.

The Euglena photoreceptor was identified as a blue-light-activated adenylyl cyclase. Excitation of this receptor protein results in the formation of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) as a second messenger. Chemical signal transduction ultimately triggers changes in flagellar beat patterns and cell movement.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyespot_apparatus
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1072 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79