l
a
s
smokeyd smokeyd
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I need around 3 reasons...

Would the tilt of the Earth be one reason? Since the Northern Hemisphere is tilted away?

Is the atmosphere another reason?

I need more reasons. And please explain them to me! Thanks!
Read 411 times
8 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You're right.  Because the northern hemisphere is tilted away from the sun, that is why there is winter in January.  That's the only reason I know about.
wrote...
11 years ago
The only reason you need is the tilt of the earth.  When the earth is tilted away from the sun, then that hemisphere will receieve less light per square meter.  Less light also means less energy, so it is colder. . .
wrote...
11 years ago
The difference in distance to the sun is insignificant compared to the angle of the sun's rays on the earth.  In summer (northern hemisphere), the sun's rays strike more nearly at a right angle to the northern hemisphere, heating the ground more, and causing warmer temperatures.  In effect the sun's energy isn't diluted by hitting the earth at a low angle, and spreading out the energy over a large area.  During northern hemisphere winter the energy of the sun is spread out over a larger area (because the northern hemisphere is tilted away from the sun), so energy per area is less.  Hence, colder temperatures.
wrote...
11 years ago
Reason 1:  The tilt of the earth's axis.  The sun's heat reaching the earth in the northern hemisphere is coming in at a shallow angle.  It is much less direct than in the summer.

Reason 2:  Since it gets colder because of less light in winter, there is a lot of snow.  In the northern hemisphere, there is much more land than the southern hemisphere.  With such a large amount of snow cover, the light and heat is reflected by the snow back out into space.

Reason 3:  The southern hemisphere has a lot of water.  During the summer, the heat from the sun causes water to evaporate and create clouds.  Clouds are excellent at reflecting radiation.  This cloud cover helps to direct the heat back out into space.

But overall, the distance between the Earth and sun is quite insignificant to have much of an effect on global temperatures.
Answer accepted by topic starter
irinairina
wrote...
Top Poster
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 140 words.