t
i
r
r
GAboy121 GAboy121
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
From an evolutionary standpoint, why does the inner ear of mammals use fluid pressure waves?
Read 1611 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
6 years ago
Welcome to the club Slight Smile I found something that might help and I have added the source below for further reading.

Amniotic land vertebrates, that are: birds, reptiles and mammals, evolved from primitive amphibians that evolved from even more primitive fish. There is much debate as to whether the lateral line system, a system of sensors used to sense changes in pressure in fish and amphibians, eventually developed into the beginnings of the inner ear in amphibians or if the inner ear developed independently in amphibians. In any case, the way in which the early amphibian and fish ear operates was very similar.

The anatomy of the first amphibian ears was quite a bit simpler than modern ears. It is believed that early amphibians and even some amphibians living today, such as salamanders, heard by picking up vibrations through the ground and water. These vibrations would be picked up by the creature’s entire body but mostly by the dense parts such as bones. As the vibrations travelled through the body, they would reach the inner ear. This primitive inner ear contained a fluid filled region that was surrounded by dense bone. The vibrations would cause the dense bone to resonate, which in turn would transfer the vibrations to the fluid. Tiny hairs in the fluid region would convert the fluid vibration into electrical signals that would travel through nerves to the brain. The brain would then interpret these signals as sounds. This structure was sufficient in the water because the vibrational energy in water was adequate to cause the dense bones to vibrate. In air, however, the vibrations have much less energy and are therefore more difficult to interpret sounds with this structure.
Source  http://evolvingsenses.blogspot.ca/2009/11/evolution-of-hearing-from-amphibians-to.html
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1155 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?