t
i
r
r
bug2012 bug2012
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am thinking about getting a degree in earth and environmental science, but the thing is I have a wife and two kids that I support. Is there any money with a major like this. It is something that I think I would really love to do, but I am scared I will not find a job in the field. I live in Chicago. I would also consider getting a MS or PhD.
Read 505 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Environmental Health Inspector. I'm sure you have the equivalent in the US (I'm from the UK). People who go around to places like restaurants etc and check them over, to see if they are complying with environmental regulations. It's a job I'd love to do, as it is well paid and you are not confined to an office all day.
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes, you can be ecologist
wrote...
11 years ago
nah, without a phd in that field your just another dude with a ba in EESS.
wrote...
11 years ago
have fun, unless you want to get a PhD it is pointless to get a science degree, you will work as a glorified lab tech your entire life and the jobs do not pay well and arent that stable
wrote...
11 years ago
There are no guarantees in life but yes - there are jobs in this field. You might be involved in preparing environmental impact statements - a requirement for new construction just about anywhere in the US.
wrote...
11 years ago
You could be a teacher at the secondary level but there is no money to be made.
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes, it counts as a "natural sciences BS" in recruiter-speak  and doubles for several other degrees.  In the States it doubles for a geology degree for the purpose of taking the Professional Geologist examination.  Don't confuse it with the "Earth Science" education degree, which should be avoided.

I have a similar degree and have worked in several environmental areas, primarily dealing with water and air pollution issues.  Work is everywhere, as experienced people are scarce.  The employers generally pay to send you to specialized training and help you get necessary certifications.

The Federal, state, and local government environmental administrations will hire you quickly for research and enforcement positions. I hesitate to predict salaries, but you'll certainly do well.

By the way, it's tons of fun, especially if you like fieldwork.  On one of my recent jobs I got to handle boats at sea and use geophysical equipment few people know exist.
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes, there is.
wrote...
11 years ago
You can also work in a lab for the local or state environmental agency. The EPA might be harder to get into. Or you can do some chemistry lab work provided you took some chem courses.  Depending on where you live, you can make a decent salary, you won't be rich, I think, but it might be enough.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1202 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586