f
j
b
c
bufi bufi
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I'm an atheist as well, I can totally understand why other atheists would want to be socially liberal (e.g. for gay rights) because many of the arguments against certain social issues are religious.

However, why are a lot of them - not all - also fiscally liberal (such as supporting income & progressive taxes)? Does the lack of religion affect this at all?
Read 1162 times
14 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Buddy thats not entirely true.. I know plenty of Fiscal Atheist Conservatives.

But preaching against culture is what those liberal atheists do.
Attacking Every root of Americas greatness.
wrote...
11 years ago
Its easy: the replacing of God with Bureaucracy.
wrote...
11 years ago
We don't mind supporting our fellow man through taxes the way it should be done with regulation. Not just doping money in a plate as it goes by and hoping the preacher does the right thing.
wrote...
11 years ago
They know they can't take it with them when they die.
wrote...
11 years ago
Atheists are also more educated.....
wrote...
11 years ago
With other peoples money not their own.
wrote...
11 years ago
Ironically, both economic systems are followed like religion. Who cares if the economy takes a bad turn, we must believe in the system! Anyone that disagrees is a communist or corporate heathen!
wrote...
11 years ago
Suddenly avatars! Sexy avatars EVERYWHERE!!

Anyways, I think it's more to do with side choosing. Basically when you commit to a side, you accept that sides policies regardless.

Religious=Right, Non-religious=Left as a rule of thumb.

I'm not sure there's actually anymore depth to it than that in regards to the religious influence.
wrote...
11 years ago
It is my guess that if you do not believe in a higher power you are less likely to be concerned about the consequences of your actions.

Christians and Jews modify their behavior because they fear their actions might get them sent to hell. Atheists obviously do not share their fear.

The same pathology could be at work with fiscal policy. Atheists figure that they will not be around to pay the bill so why not spend away.
wrote...
11 years ago
I am pretty sure that one of the basic tenets of Communism is Atheism. Because the State is to be seen as your god

If you are living your life as if there is No GOD, for your sake, you had better be right. I prefer to err on the side of caution on that one.
wrote...
11 years ago
Fiscally liberal means supportive of free trade, laissez faire capitalism and non-protectionism. It is actually the opposite of what you state. You're reffering to left-wing, and yes there is a huge difference.
wrote...
11 years ago
The idea that homosexuality is a sin is a Christian and Muslim concept.  If you reject religion and the idea of a supreme being judging our acts, then homosexuality is not a real issue.  Most atheists live very moral and idealistic lives not because of fear of punishment, but because of a strong sense of right and wrong.  Idealism is a strong motivator among atheists.  Fiscal liberalism is a political function, not a religious one.
P.S. I have been an atheist for the last 35 years.
wrote...
11 years ago
Heteros -- go figure. Gays tend to be better capitalists than the failed conservatives who yap about capitalism. Millions upon millions of conservatives are absolute failures as capitalism, so listening to them about fiscal issues is a joke.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  948 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?