S
m
s
michaelmrs michaelmrs
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hey,

I was wondering when do people use embryonic cells that have been in storage for reproductive proposes? I heard that often girls store there eggs before getting treatment for cancer however I don't this is the same as embryonic storage. Why would someone want to store and Embryo.

Thanks for your help. I will give be back to give a 5 star rating and best answer.
Read 340 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
This is a fairly new process in which the parents of a newborn have the option of saving the umbilical cord blood shortly after birth. This contains stem cells that can be frozen and saved for later on in life. Because they are cells from the child itself, there is no possibility of rejection. Cord blood cells have been used in situations like when the now grown up child needs a bone marrow transplant. The cells are activated, induced to differentiate into bone marrow cells and populated inside the patient. The patient now has a brand new immune system.

The process of storing eggs is more from a reproductive standpoint. Sometimes women freeze their eggs after having surgery to become sterile. It is not really necessary to use a human embryo to obtain stem cells anymore.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  816 People Browsing
 109 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249