j
s
d
J
Leifish Leifish
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
and if possible how would this relate to the symptoms?
I know this is a bit of a general question as there are many different types of leukemia but any help would be really appreciated!
i know and i have to do a 10 mark answer on it!
the exact question want me to "give one example of a disorder which affects WBC population and explain what would happen to the expected symptoms in terms of the relative proportions to the 5 different types of WBC"

hmm maybe i shouldn't do leukemia?
Read 264 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
This is a vague question Kerrie.
Granulocytic (Myelocytic) leukemias and Lymphocytic leukemias can both be acute or chronic.
The WBC count may be very high or not high at all (in so-called 'aleukemic' leukemia where just the marrow is packed with malignant leukemia cells.)
Symptoms depend on a wide variety of factors - cell type,
acute or chronic, associated infections, etc.

Basophils and Eosinophils are much less likely to be associated with leukemia.
Monocytes are grouped with the Myelocytic leukemias
There are a number of these (Myelocytic leukemias) depending on the level of the maturation arrest.
Most acute leukemia patients present with anemia, bleeding, or infection related to the leukemia crowding out normal production of red cells, white cells, and platelets.

You might start with the Wiki site and work up from there for more details.  This is an entire book chapter type question.

MD  retired hematologist/oncologist
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1517 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 119
Closes: November 4