t
i
r
r
ayazasker ayazasker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hi guys. I'm new to the forums and I really need help and would appreciate it a lot if someone could help me out here. Well as you can see in the title the problem is about Meiosis. Now I have been searching everywhere and there are many mixed answers. so my main questions is that when they say the mother chromosomes and father chromosomes share each other is this after or before fertilization, because logically that would make no sense if it were before(how would they get the father and the mother chromosomes together, unless intercourse took place, which then leads me to believe this happens when the sperm cell meets the egg. However, that is not the case because it is the production of the EGG and SPERM cells, but how can sperm cells contain mom and dad chromosomes if nothing was exchanged?? ). Also there is a quite high chance that what im saying right now is completely wrong... So feel free to tell me I'm totally wrong and if you could take me through it step by step I'd be forever in your gratitude. Thanks
Read 613 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
so my main questions is that when they say the mother chromosomes and father chromosomes share each other is this after or before fertilization,

This part I am not comprehending this part, ayazasker. Share each other what? I don't think you wrote it properly. Please clarify!
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
ayazasker Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Allright, so when I watched the videos and demonstrations of meiosis there was something about "Chromosomal cross-over", now my main question is how can there be a fathers set of chromosomes and a mothers set of chromosomes(I've been thinking about it all day and i think i finally got it, the individual who produces the gamete, it's his mother and fathers sets of chromosomes right???. If you still did not understand what i am trying to say here, i will give a real life example. For example, lets say there is a guy named Bob, when meiosis takes place in him it's with his mothers and fathers sets of chromosomes right??)
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
For example, lets say there is a guy named Bob, when meiosis takes place in him it's with his mothers and fathers sets of chromosomes right??)

Yes Smiling Face with Open Mouth Because he is a byproduct of his mother and father. In other words, in each cell of his body, he has 23 chromosomes from his mom, and 23 from his dad.
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1133 People Browsing
 105 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion