t
S
m
s
andzo andzo
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
What reasons would someone add chlorine to the pool in the evening instead of morning?
Read 1210 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
At night, chlorine is used up doing useful work in your pool, like oxidizing all that sweat and sun-tan lotion from your pool party. Remember, chlorine’s job is to oxidize bacteria, sweat, soaps, suntan lotion, and whatever other contaminants enter your pool. On the contrary, during the day, it mostly is wasted - lost to UV in the sunlight; the UV somehow deactivates it.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
andzo Author
wrote...
12 years ago
due to hypochlorite ion, what would the pH of the pool be? basic?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
12 years ago
chlorine

Free chlorine consists of two chemicals; hypochlorous acid and the hypochlorite ion. Hypochlorous acid disinfects well while the hypochlorite ion does not. Ultra-violet (UV) light degrades hypochlorous acid to hydrochloric acid (HCl).
andzo Author
wrote...
12 years ago
so does that make the pool neutral?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
12 years ago
so does that make the pool neutral?

I don't think so, it just neutralizes the effects of the chlorine.
andzo Author
wrote...
12 years ago
what would the reaction be in presence of light
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
12 years ago
I know that UV splits hypochlorous acid (HOCl), producing highly reactive radicals (plus HCl) that can destroy organics. In the presence of light (i.e. from a light bulb), I don't think a reaction takes place because the spectrum is different (larger wavelengths). Hypochlorous acid can only really degrade when exposed to ultraviolet light from the sun.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  944 People Browsing
 102 Signed Up Today
Related Images