r
d
l
a
Snippedforlif Snippedforlif
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I need to know Chrissy's genotype while I know her parents both suffer from alopecia the autosomal dominant trait. What I don't understand while I'm shading in my pedigree is that Chrissy's paternal grandparents have hair but their son (or Chrissy's dad) is bald. Do I still keep them unshaded? And I how do I know Chrissy's genotype if its Aa or AA if she hasn't had children?
It doesn't specify her siblings genotypes. It says she has a sister but the story problem does not  say her phenotype.
Read 473 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I don't think baldness (at least in this case) is genetic. If I were you, I would shade them. Also, the only way to predict (predict, not confirm) Chrissy's genotype would be to find the genotype of her siblings. If her sibling(s) both have AA (or Aa) genotype then so will she (because the probability of her having it will increase with increase in no. of siblings having similar genotype).

Okay, I did some browsing on this and what I have concluded is that, as I stated before, alopecia isn't purely genetic. It's influenced a lot by environment and life style of a person. Alopecia is very rare in women, so I can't help but make an analogy with haemophilia and hybrid cross in plants. I have to go with Aa on this one . Again that's just an educated guess, unless there's some other information available there's isn't anyway I can tell you Chrissy's genotype. Sorry Frowning Face
Please fell free to go through the link below.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  775 People Browsing
 121 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion