r
d
l
a
Peezy Peezy
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Meiosis guarantees that in a sexual life cycle, offspring will inherit one complete set of chromosomes (and their associated genes and traits) from each parent. The transmission of traits from parents to offspring is called heredity.
Another important aspect of meiosis and the sexual life cycle is the role these processes play in contributing to genetic variation. Although offspring often resemble their parents, they are genetically different from both of their parents and from one another. The degree of variation may be tremendous.

The following processes are associated with meiosis and the sexual life cycle:
•DNA replication before meiosis
•crossing over
•chromosome alignment in metaphase I and separation in anaphase I
•chromosome alignment in metaphase II and separation in anaphase II
•fertilization

Sort each process into the appropriate bin according to whether it contributes to heredity only, genetic variation only, or both.

Read 72012 times
12 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
C'mon, your question doesn't even include a diagram!

Anyway, from what you've offered, I could be wrong, depending on the viewpoint of your teacher. Realize that if it contributes to heredity, it's something that the next offspring will have, regardless as to weather it's by mitosis or meiosis. I'll sort them into the 3 categories. If you wish for me to explain, post back.

Heredity Only - 1, 3, 5 (if it's asexual)
Genetic Variation only - 2, 4, 5 (sexual), 3 (since crossing over occurred)
Both - All of them

I could easily be wrong, so you may want to check your bio book. Number 3 for Heredity is arguable depending on how you see it. Sorry if I wasn't much help. Hope this helps.
shubhamparas,  keke043,  tantinlee
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
wrote...
10 years ago
Ok I'm just a tad bit confused on this since there isn't a diagram on the question. Could you please help out with the diagram??
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
mom23saves45,  mmmmz,  teriingura,  mew15,  nimamot,  vivianilene,  Celestial,  cmabito,  traceun214,  azar,  yoshika1,  Masuma Jahan,  and251
Answer accepted by topic starter
duddyduddy
wrote...
Staff Member
Top Poster
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
bbui,  nite_n_day,  pishipishi,  shannonmcqu,  rtvenega,  autumntrice,  Aironic,  dbragin1,  mkatato,  alexbitz,  unknown4,  sspsycho,  garowla,  bio_man,  jajajajo,  Killem
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science