d
l
a
tishadawn05 tishadawn05
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
[/size][/color][/font]

This is more than likely a very easy question, but I am coming up completely blank on how the different images can be used to our benefit. If anyone could please help me on this before pulling all my hair out...THANK YOU!

How do Scanning Electron Microscope  and Transmission Electron Microscope images differ? <~~This part I know..

How can we use these differences to our benefit? ~~ (When would we want to use them?)
Source  Campbell Biology 9th Ed.
Read 454 times
5 Replies
Tisha Dawn
Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
HI Sorry for the late response.

These are some of the differences:

•   SEM is based on scattered electrons, while TEM is based on transmitted electrons.
•   SEM focuses on the sample’s surface and its composition, whereas TEM provides the details about internal composition. Therefore, TEM can show many characteristics of the sample, such as morphology, crystallization, stress or even magnetic domains. On the other hand, SEM shows only the morphology of samples.
•   The sample in TEM has to be cut thinner whereas there is no such need with SEM sample.
•   TEM has much higher resolution than SEM.
•   SEM allows for large amount of sample to be analysed at a time whereas with TEM only small amount of sample can be analysed at a time.
•   SEM is used for surfaces, powders, polished & etched microstructures, IC chips, chemical segregation whereas TEM is used for imaging of dislocations, tiny precipitates, grain boundaries and other defect structures in solids
•   In TEM, pictures are shown on fluorescent screens whereas in SEM, picture is shown on monitor.
•   SEM also provides a 3-dimensional image while TEM provides a 2-dimensional picture.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
tishadawn05 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you for replying  Smiling Face with Open Mouth I was beginning to think that no one would.

I was unclear on exactly what answer I was needing though.

The differences between SEM & TEM was the first part of the question & I got them, but the second part asks how these differences benefit us (humans)?

My brain is not wanting to boot up for some reason these past couple days and I am stuck......i
Tisha Dawn
Answer accepted by topic starter
padrepadre
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
Top Poster
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 210 words.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile