d
l
a
s
faraz faraz
wrote...
13 years ago
Hey, my question was:

What specific cytoskeletal protein (or proteins) has its function altered as the ultimate effect of digitalis?

My thought was microtubule associated proteins but I wasn't sure of the specific one.

Thanks for any help!
Read 1556 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Hey Faraz,

The ultimate effect of digitalis is to raise the blood pressure.

It does this by:

(1) Inhibiting Na+/ K+-ATPase
(2) This causes a rise in intracellular Na+
(3) Resulting in a less efficient Na+/Ca2+ ion exchange
(4) In turn, this results in an intracellular increase of Ca2+ => Finally, resulting in stronger contractions

Now here is the interesting part: high intracellular Ca2+ ions inhibits the assembly of microtubules - Alpha and Beta Tubulin cytoskeletal proteins (the major component of cytoplasmic microtubules) - and therefore, play a role in the regulation of microtuble formation.

So your answer should be tubulin (mention alpha and beta also)

Now it makes sense?  Face with Rolling Eyes
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
faraz Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thank you very much for the help! Slight Smile

I was also wondering anyone could help me answer this:

How is hydrogen peroxide used to convert ethanol into acetaldehyde in the peroxisome of liver cells?

You are life savers!
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Hey faraz, we appreciate the questions, but next time start a new topic rather than continuing on with a solved one  Slight Smile

The enzyme catalase has also been shown to oxidize ethanol into acetaldehyde within the peroxisomes. This process is hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) dependent. However, under normal physiological conditions, catalase plays only a minor role in ethanol metabolism, but its contribution might be enhanced in the presence of higher amounts of hydrogen peroxide.

In the liver, the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase oxidizes ethanol into acetaldehyde, which is then further oxidized into harmless acetic acid by acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. These two oxidation reactions are coupled with the reduction of NAD+ to NADH.

I hate chemistry but I love biochemistry  8)

oh and don't forget to contribute in the discussion section!
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  476 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?