t
S
m
s
cphnry cphnry
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
12 years ago
Can someone PLEASE help me with these ?.

EXERCISE 4:  Endocrine System Physiology

1.   The baseline metabolic rate (BMR) of the normal rat was approximately ________ ml O2/kg/hr.

2.   True or False:  The BMR of all three rats was approximately the same before treatment with thyroxine, TSH, or propylthiouracil.

3.   Which rat had the fastest basal metabolic rate (BMR)?

4.    Why did the BMR’s differ between the normal rat and the surgically altered rats?

5.   If an animal had been thyroidectomized, what hormone(s) would be missing in its blood?

6.   If an animal had been hypophysectomized, what effect(s) would you expect to see in the hormone levels in its blood and in its BMR?

ACTIVITY 1:  Metabolism and Thyroid Hormones – Part 2

7.   True or False:  The thyroxine injections caused a goiter in the normal rat.

8.   After the thyroxine injection, the BMR (in ml O2/kg/hr) of the thyroidectomized rat was approximately
a.   1700
b.   1800
c.   1900     
d.   2000

9.   True or False:  The term euthyroid means that the amount of thyroid hormone present in that specific animal is within the normal range.   

10.   What was the effect of thyroxine injections on the normal rat’s BMR?

11.   What was the effect of thyroxine injections on the thyroidectomized rat’s BMR? 

How does the BMR in this case compare with the normal rat’s BMR?
Was the dose of thyroxine in the syringe too large, too small, or just right?

12.   What was the effect of thyroxine injections on the hypophysectomized rat’s BMR? 

Was the dose of thyroxine in the syringe too large, too small, or just right?

ACTIVITY 1:  Metabolism and Thyroid Hormones – Part 3
13.   The hormone TSH is synthesized and secreted from
a.   the hypothalamus.
b.   the anterior pituitary gland.         
c.   the posterior pituitary gland.
d.   the thyroid gland.

14.   The letter “S” in TSH stand for the word ___________________ _.

15.   What was the effect of TSH injections on the normal rat’s BMR?

16.   What was the effect of TSH injections on the thyroidectomized rat’s BMR?  How does the BMR in this case compare with the normal rat’s BMR?  Why did this happen?

17.   What was the effect of TSH injections on the hypophysectomized rat’s BMR? 
Why did this happen?

ACTIVITY 1:  Metabolism and Thyroid Hormones – Part 4

18.   The hypophysectomized rat, before receiving any injections, was
a.   hypothyroid.
b.   euthyroid.         
c.   hyperthyroid.
d.   none of the above.

19.   True or False:  The effect of the chemical propylthiouracil (PTU) is to inhibit the production of thyroxine in the thyroid gland.
20.   What was the effect of PTU injections on the normal rat’s BMR?

21.   What was the effect of PTU injections on the thyroidectomized rat’s BMR? 
Why did this happen?

22.   What was the effect of PTU injections on the hypophysectomized rat’s BMR? 
Why did this happen?

ACTIVITY 2:  Plasma Glucose, Insulin, and Diabetes Mellitus

23.   True or False:  The hormone insulin is secreted from the pancreas into the small intestine in order to help the digestion of starch into glucose.

24.   The primary difference(s) between type 1 diabetes mellitus and type 2 diabetes mellitus is the following:
a.   A person with type 1 diabetes suffers from a lack of insulin.
b.   A person with type 2 diabetes usually has a sufficient amount of insulin but the cells of the body do not respond appropriately to it.
c.   The medicine primarily used to treat the two forms of diabetes are quite different.
d.   All of the above are correct.

25.   A fasting plasma glucose (FPG) of approximately _____ mg/dl or less is considered normal.

26.   If the FPG levels of a patient, on three successive days, are 114, 125, and 120, the healthcare provider will inform that patient that she/he appears to
a.   be normal.
b.   have impaired or borderline impaired insulin-mediated glucose uptake by cells.
c.   have diabetes mellitus
d.   need several more FPG levels determined.

27.   What is a glucose standard curve, and why did you need to obtain one for this experiment?

28.   Which patient(s) had glucose reading(s) in the diabetic range? 
Can you say with certainty whether each of these patients has type 1 or type 2 diabetes?
Why or why not?

29.   Describe the diagnosis for patient 3, who was also pregnant at the time of this assay.

30.   Which patient(s) had normal plasma glucose reading(s)?

31.   What are the lifestyle changes these patients with normal plasma glucose readings might recommend to the borderline impaired patients?

ACTIVITY 3:  Hormone Replacement Therapy

32.   Hormone replacement therapy refers, in this lab simulation, to
a.   the administration of estrogen.
b.   the administration of calcitonin.   
c.   the administration of both estrogen and calcitonin.

33.   In this lab simulation, the T-score of the rat treated with estrogen for 7 days was _______.

34.   True or False:  A woman after she goes through menopause should discuss hormone replacement therapy with her healthcare provider.     

35.   A person with osteoporosis
a.   has a reduced quantity of bone.
b.   has a decreased bone mass.   
c.   has an increased susceptibility to bone fractures.
d.   all the above are correct.

36.   Why were ovariectomized rats used in this experiment? 
How does the fact that the rats are ovariectomized explain their baseline T-scores?

37.   What effect did the administration of saline injections have on the control rat?

38.   What effect did the administration of estrogen injections have on the estrogen-treated rat?  What effect did it have on bone density?

39.   What effect did the administration of calcitonin injections have on the calcitonin-treated rat?  What effect did it have on bone density?

40.   What are some health risks that postmenopausal women must consider when contemplating estrogen hormone replacement therapy? 

ACTIVITY 4:  Measuring Cortisol and Adrenocorticotropic (ACTH) Hormones

41.   The hormone cortisol is
a.   synthesized in and secreted from the adrenal gland.
b.   very important in the body’s response to stress.   
c.   influenced by the amount of ACTH in the blood stream.
d.   All the above are correct.

42.   The cortisol level of patient 3 was ________ mcg/dl.

43.   The ACTH level of patient 4 was ________ pg/ml.

44.   True or False:  The hormone CRH is a tropic hormone that comes from the pituitary gland and affects the adrenal gland.   
45.   Which of the patients would most likely be diagnosed with Cushing’s disease?  Why?

46.   Which two patients have hormone levels characteristic of Cushing’s syndrome?  Why?

47.   Patient 2 is being treated for rheumatoid arthritis with high doses of prednisone.  How does this information change the diagnosis?

48.   Which patient would most likely be diagnosed with Addison’s disease?   Why?

Read 68042 times
36 Replies
Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
What questions to you need help with? A lot of these questions are given directly after doing the lab stimulation and are found in the introduction to the lab activity. Is there a specific question you need help with.
wrote...
12 years ago
I need help with activity 4 of endocrine system. I could not figure it out. can you please help?
wrote...
12 years ago
questions 41 through 48.
mrmagicsgirl,  lonnie
Answer accepted by topic starter
logdmxlogdmx
wrote...
Rep: 7 1
12 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 2180 words.
samsub91,  Di.m,  manuelj,  physioexhelp,  amn2001,  katico1,  doseofmegan,  muthee,  lnl928,  chaii,  lonnie,  juliusstuffs,  Royalplume,  bio_man,  Mtharrelson