i
r
r
TheDragonPrince TheDragonPrince
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, TheDragonPrince
Hello all!  New here!

My question is, to what extent do Chromosomes HAVE to carry down identically from parent to child?  And, to what extent can an offspring differ from the parent's Chromosomes?

Also, if so that these Chromosomes are 46 in EACH Cell (with the exception of 1 or 2 classes of them), including Skin Cells, Bone Cells, Cartilage Cells, Nerve Cells, Gland Cells, Muscle Cells, any type of organ tissue including the brain; to what extent are these all the same as our parents?  More curiously, do these inherit into the different lobes of the brain?  Will our Id, Ego, and Superego be affected by these types of inherited tissue?  What about things like Hair Cells, etc.?  I was told that my mother had thick hair cells, but after I was had, her hair turned very thin.

Can there be sort of trivial minor things inherited, like what your favourite colour is, your favourite juice, your favourite place to put a glass on the table, favourite clothing, movies, etc.?  And I was also curious, how much can a Skin Cell change throughout the course of your life?  Can you be born with either a very dark or very light skin colour, but it change inversely later?  Do babies' skin ever change drastically within the first month to 6 months?  I had pinkish white white skin the first 6-7 months, then after it turned yellowey darker a bit in Los Angeles.  After, it turned jet white again with very little pink at around age 4, and then some occasional bits of pink with whatever a camera could pick up at age 6.  By age 7, it had turned completely dark yellowey brown, but then randomly that year there are photos where it is jet white.  Other times at age 11, it turned jet white again, but then after it was always dark brown.  What is the meaning of this?  At age 17, it turned briefly light again, but still darkish orangey yellow.  To this day now, it is darkish yellow, but not as dark as age 12 or 14.  This has been confusing me for a LONG time, and my father's skin also changed from jet white at 20 - 35 to an extremely dark dark reddish brown now.

Thanks in advance for your time, hope to hear back soon!
Read 89 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
My question is, to what extent do Chromosomes HAVE to carry down identically from parent to child?  And, to what extent can an offspring differ from the parent's Chromosomes?

Hi TheDragonPrince, welcome to the forum

When reproductive cells makes sex cells (sperm, egg) to be used for reproduction, they undergo several different processes (such as crossing over, independent assortment) that lead to a novel set of genetic information that is eventually passed on. Mathematically, the different number of combinations are astronomically large, and when coupled with another person's sex cell, it creates even more diversity.

To give you a better understanding, consider the following scenario. If you were to take 2 sex cell of yours, hypothetically, and combined them to form an offspring, it would look completely different than you. Only through cloning would the offspring look identical to the parent.

You asked a lot of questions here, so I'll answer the main ones. Every cell in your body, whether it be a neuron, liver cell or bone cell carry the exact same DNA. The reason they look and behave differently is because they've already been differentiated into a determinant cell type during your development in the womb. When cells become differentiated, various genes turn-off and on depending on what the cell is specified to do. This field of genetics is referred to epigenetics -- it's really cool.

I had pinkish white white skin the first 6-7 months, then after it turned yellowey darker a bit in Los Angeles.

In terms of skin color, the environmental and your body do react together. Depending on the conditions your body is subject to (including your diet), the turning-on and off of genes doesn't completely stop after you're born; if it did, we would never go through puberty and physically change throughout our life. A lot of babies change in appearance from one growth spurt to the next, so it's not a surprise what you've reported here.

This has been confusing me for a LONG time, and my father's skin also changed from jet white at 20 - 35 to an extremely dark dark reddish brown now.

Sounds like a tan to me! 🏖️ Or, he really likes eating carrots Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes
wrote...
3 years ago
My question is, to what extent do Chromosomes HAVE to carry down identically from parent to child? And, to what extent can an offspring differ from the parent's Chromosomes?
Hi TheDragonPrince, welcome to the forum When reproductive cells makes sex cells (sperm, egg) to be used for reproduction, they undergo several different processes (such as crossing over, independent assortment) that lead to a novel set of genetic information that is eventually passed on. Mathematically, the different number of combinations are astronomically large, and when coupled with another person's sex cell, it creates even more diversity.

But to what extent can they be different?

Meaning, the core things still power it, but how much of that diversity will differ from the same base things?  Like I like my apple red on a Tuesday, Mom likes it red on a Wednesday.  However, her best friend and her son will like the apple green on a Tuesday, make sense?

To give you a better understanding, consider the following scenario. If you were to take 2 sex cell of yours, hypothetically, and combined them to form an offspring, it would look completely different than you. Only through cloning would the offspring look identical to the parent.

COMPLETELY?

That seems the exact OPPOSITE of what you would think, no?

You asked a lot of questions here, so I'll answer the main ones. Every cell in your body, whether it be a neuron, liver cell or bone cell carry the exact same DNA.

You mean as each other, or as the parents?

The reason they look and behave differently is because they've already been differentiated into a determinant cell type during your development in the womb.

Do you mean that they've been sort of "assigned" what their role with the genes provided will be?

When cells become differentiated, various genes turn-off and on depending on what the cell is specified to do. This field of genetics is referred to epigenetics -- it's really cool.

So by "turn off and on", do you mean in other words that when the cell is NOT assigned to a certain role with the genes, that those chromosomes will linger in the Nucleus; while remaining "off"?

I would think you would never want that Face with Open Mouth.  Interesting though.

I had pinkish white white skin the first 6-7 months, then after it turned yellowey darker a bit in Los Angeles.
In terms of skin color, the environmental and your body do react together. Depending on the conditions your body is subject to (including your diet), the turning-on and off of genes doesn't completely stop after you're born; if it did, we would never go through puberty and physically change throughout our life.

So you're saying in our path in life, there's a link between genes that activate/deactivate and our brain?  I would hope this system is more maintained, and rather; in "control"?  So I don't randomly lose my genes?

What turns off during Puberty though?

A lot of babies change in appearance from one growth spurt to the next, so it's not a surprise what you've reported here.
This has been confusing me for a LONG time, and my father's skin also changed from jet white at 20 - 35 to an extremely dark dark reddish brown now.
Sounds like a tan to me! 🏖️ Or, he really likes eating carrots Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes

It's a bit odd though.  I've read about warmth decreasing a bit in the skin tones around 40+, but it's still the same base COLOUR.

This is completely off.  It's that the actual thing shifted from Pink to Yellow.  How can that be?  I do any kind of strenuous activity, and I do not get ANY pink or red, is that normal?  Not a SINGLE bit.  Sprinting full speed panting, anything.

It's not just a tan however with my dad.  It's like the colour of Terra Cotta wood versus a sheet of printer paper.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
But to what extent can they be different? Meaning, the core things still power it, but how much of that diversity will differ from the same base things?  Like I like my apple red on a Tuesday, Mom likes it red on a Wednesday.  However, her best friend and her son will like the apple green on a Tuesday, make sense?

For one, half of your DNA is gone when a sex cell (known as a gamete) is made. Every cell in your body, minus your sex cells, have 46 chromosomes; sperm and egg have 23. Let's say for a moment that one's skin color is based off of 1 gene - it isn't, but just pretend. When you were conceived, you obtained one version of this gene from your mom, and one version from your dad.

Let's assume that you inherited from your mom a version that codes for white skin, while the one you inherited from your dad codes for brown. If brown is dominant to white, you will express brown skin, while your mom's gene barely has any influence. Now, when you produce a sex cell, the likelihood of your mom's gene being found in any randomly selected sex gamete is 50/50. Therefore, any one gamete doesn't have the influence of another version of that one gene.

This is why combining to of your own sex cells will not produce an organism that's identical to the parent. Keep in mind that humans code for +23,000 genes.

In you right now, your heart and brain have the same DNA, therefore same genes. Except that the genes that make a heart cell what it is are completely turned off in your brain cells, and vice versa. In case you're wondering why we can't convert one cell form to another, theoretically we can. But science isn't quite there yet.

Before responding back to your other inquiries, see if what I wrote helps you understand the topic a little better.
wrote...
3 years ago
But to what extent can they be different? Meaning, the core things still power it, but how much of that diversity will differ from the same base things? Like I like my apple red on a Tuesday, Mom likes it red on a Wednesday. However, her best friend and her son will like the apple green on a Tuesday, make sense?
For one, half of your DNA is gone when a sex cell (known as a gamete) is made. Every cell in your body, minus your sex cells, have 46 chromosomes; sperm and egg have 23. Let's say for a moment that one's skin color is based off of 1 gene - it isn't, but just pretend. When you were conceived, you obtained one version of this gene from your mom, and one version from your dad. Let's assume that you inherited from your mom a version that codes for white skin, while the one you inherited from your dad codes for brown. If brown is dominant to white, you will express brown skin, while your mom's gene barely has any influence. Now, when you produce a sex cell, the likelihood of your mom's gene being found in any randomly selected sex gamete is 50/50. Therefore, any one gamete doesn't have the influence of another version of that one gene. This is why combining to of your own sex cells will not produce an organism that's identical to the parent. Keep in mind that humans code for +23,000 genes.
In you right now, your heart and brain have the same DNA, therefore same genes. Except that the genes that make a heart cell what it is are completely turned off in your brain cells, and vice versa. In case you're wondering why we can't convert one cell form to another, theoretically we can. But science isn't quite there yet. Before responding back to your other inquiries, see if what I wrote helps you understand the topic a little better.

I actually am still expecting a response to the others however...from what I gauge I don't think you seem qualified to answer this question.  If you can redirect someone here who is, it would be helpful.

It's very offensive, the way you are writing.  Know that.

However, as to what you initially wrote about cells; they do not split half and half to the child.  They will be FUSED, there's a difference.  It takes all of your DNA and will fuse them with the other, and then inherit them downward to the children!  THAT is what is originally meant by "half Mother's, half Father's".  I'm though not sure what you mean by "humans code for".  A lot of your answers are not clearly written or in any way formatted to be understandable.  6 hours time, better writing is expected by someone in your position.

This topic is not open for further replies. If you'd like to contribute to this topic, start a new thread and make reference to this one. Otherwise, contact a moderator for more options.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  870 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?