r
d
l
a
memucha memucha
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
Suzy is a 10 year old with pulmonary fibrosis.  This disease causes progressive scarring of the lungs and therefore, reduced inspiratory volumes and chronic hypoxemia.  Suzy is very inquisitive.  Due to her disease, she knows that when she breathes in, her lungs help to bring oxygen into her blood, and when she breathes out, she gets rid of carbon dioxide from her blood.  At her appointment today, you note that she has cyanosis (blue coloration) and clubbing in her fingers and toes – symptoms of hypoxemia.   When Suzy asks why her fingers and toes look the way they do, you tell her that she is not getting enough oxygen to them.  This answer does not satisfy Suzy!  She then asks:

1. “How EXACTLY does oxygen get into my blood and carbon dioxide get out when I breathe?”

2. “And how does the oxygen get into my toes and fingers so they won’t be blue?”

Be thorough (or Suzy will just keep asking “how…why?”  She is annoying like that!)
Be sure to include partial pressures of the gases, the carriers in the blood, and dissociation of the gases from their carriers (the Bohr Effect)

Finally, you treat Suzy by giving oxygen via a mask. 

3.  Explain why this would be helpful even though her inspiratory volumes are reduced.

Read 2211 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
3.  Explain why this would be helpful even though her inspiratory volumes are reduced.

This would saturate her blood with pure oxygen. Remember, the oxygen you get from the atmosphere is only 21% and the rest is nitrogen gas. With pure oxygen, that's all you're getting and so it will help her deliver all the necessary oxygen to all parts of her body.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
2. “And how does the oxygen get into my toes and fingers so they won’t be blue?”

Red blood cells contain a protein called hemoglobin. Hemoglobin contains iron which binds oxygen. The ability of hemoglobin to pick up or release oxygen also depends on the pO2, the partial pressure of the oxygen in its environment.  When the partial pressure of the oxygen (pO2) is high, as it is in the capillaries around the lung, each molecule of hemoglobin can carry its maximum load of four oxygen molecules.  As the blood circulates around the body, the blood experiences lower levels of partial pressure.  At these low levels of pO2, the hemoglobin releases some of the oxygen it is carrying.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
1. “How EXACTLY does oxygen get into my blood and carbon dioxide get out when I breathe?”

We breathe air that contains oxygen through the mouth and nose. The air travels down through a breathing tube (the trachea or windpipe) into the lungs. The body's two lungs lie on either side of the heart. When you need to breathe, your diaphragm is relaxed, but it contracts when you exhale because it is pushing the air out of your lungs. Once oxygen gets in, it travels into the smallest air sacs of the lungs, called alveoli. Capillaries around these air sacs allow blood to exchange oxygen for unwanted carbon dioxide. The oxygen-rich blood then returns to the heart to be pumped to the rest of the body. The carbon dioxide in the lungs is passed out of the body through the mouth and nose when we exhale.
wrote...
12 years ago

Red blood cells contain a protein called hemoglobin. Hemoglobin contains iron which binds oxygen. The ability of hemoglobin to pick up or release oxygen also depends on the pO2, the partial pressure of the oxygen in its environment.  When the partial pressure of the oxygen (pO2) is high, as it is in the capillaries around the lung, each molecule of hemoglobin can carry its maximum load of four oxygen molecules.  As the blood circulates around the body, the blood experiences lower levels of partial pressure.  At these low levels of pO2, the hemoglobin releases some of the oxygen it is carrying.

Great! well said
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1132 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?