l
t
S
m
s
nite_n_day nite_n_day
wrote...
10 years ago
Imagine eating a soda cracker, which is basically starch, fat, protein, and salt. How would each of these components be digested? Where within the digestive system would they be digested? Are any accessory organs involved?
Read 5910 times
3 Replies
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton
Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
"Digestion begins in the oral cavity. Food triggers saliva from the parotids, rich in amylase, and from the submandibulars, rich in mucus. The tongue and teeth cooperate to mix all together and form a bolus. Digestion of fats and starch begins due to lingual lipase and salivary amylase. Swallowing reflexes send it to the stomach. Acid and pepsin greet the bolus. Peptides form from the wheat proteins due to action of pepsin. It then travels into the small intestine, where pancreatic lipase and amylase complete fat and starch digestion. Pancreatic proteinases and peptidases reduce peptides to amino acids. These are absorbed by cotransport. Maltose from starch is split into glucose molecules, which are absorbed by cotransport. The salt in the cracker is absorbed during cotransport. Fatty acids diffuse into the epithelial cells because of their lipid character."
If you are reading this, you are awesome, and I wish you a happy and prosperous day!
Answer accepted by topic starter
nite_n_day Authornite_n_day
wrote...
Top Poster
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
jacooper,  ssblani
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton