(123.55 KB)
Read 744 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Sorry, I couldn't open the file. Perhaps it is an extension in which I don't have a program for.
msitaly83 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Here is the question:

Small regions of DNA sequence obtained from three different organisms are shown below:

Organism A:   AGGUACGUUACATTGGCAAGCTGTATAGAC
Organism B:   AGCUAAGUUAGATTTGCAGGTCCTATTGAC
Organism C:   AGGUAAGUUAGATTTGCAGGTCCTATTGAC

A)   Strictly on the basis of these sequences:
1) briefly describe the phylogenetic relationship of these three organisms that you might infer, and,
2) draw an unrooted tree that illustrates your conclusions.

B)   Assume that the sequences above were obtained from the DNA encoding 16s rRNA and, furthermore, that sequencing of the entire 16s coding sequences yields identical extents of homology (i.e. – the percent gene sequence similarity you determined for these short sequences is identical to the similarity of the entire 16s rRNA coding region).  Fill in the table below, indicating yes, no or maybe in the 2 columns on the right.

% similarity   Same genus?   Same species?
Organisms A and B         
Organisms B and C         
Organisms A and C         

C) Now assume that instead of coming from the rRNA coding regions, the sequences came from a different region of the genome and, furthermore, that the percent similarity you determined for the short sequences is identical to the total genomic similarity of the organisms (quite a coincidence -  but we’re just playing around here).   On the basis of these assumptions, complete the table below: [glow=red,2,300][glow=red,2,300][glow=red,2,300][/glow][/glow][/glow]

% similarity   Same genus?   Same species?
Organisms A and B         
Organisms B and C         
Organisms A and C         
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1107 People Browsing
 112 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?