d
l
a
s
extraelle extraelle
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
When attempting to create a recombinant DNA molecule, by inserting a foreign sequence into the vector plasmid; what is the point (and how does it achieve it) of treating the plasmid DNA with alkaline phosphatase?

I think it has something to do with the orientation of the inserted sequence, but unsure how the treatment achieves this.
thats right, it makes sense now
thanks guys
Read 389 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Primarily, I think the purpose is to avoid self-ligation of the plasmid after the restriction is performed.  It seems to me that treatment with AP would only be crucial when using a single restriction enzyme, or when performing a blunt end ligation.

On the other hand, even when cutting with different enzymes, restriction efficiency is rarely 100%.  AP treatment would likely prevent religation of plasmids that have only been cut once.

I'm not sure that AP treatment would facilitate proper insert orientation.

Hope this helps.
wrote...
10 years ago
Also important to note that ligase is more efficient in annealing DNA that have only one phosphate group (between pieces to be ligated). So treating the plasmid with a phosphatase, while leaving the untreated insert with phosphates facilitates successful integration of sequence of interest into vector.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  761 People Browsing
 117 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4