t
i
r
r
mileena mileena
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Hi, I am in my 40's and on Social Security and SSI. I already have my B.A. summa cum laude with Highest Distinction in linguistics from a top 25 school, and also was a former Ph.D. student in the same field at an Ivy League institution. I have only a high school science and math background, but I always did well in those areas. Unfortunately, graduate linguistics didn't work out for personal reasons (nothing to do with academics). Perhaps that is good, as here are no jobs in linguistics anyway (I have watched many of my former classmates struggle finding jobs in this field, even with a Ph.D.); and I learned I really don't have an interest in that field. I want to get off Social Security, finish my education, and get a job. I have decided to switch and get my Ph.D. in a more marketable area, a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) field. I want to do cancer and/or obesity research since they have affected my family tremendously, and I have found I have a real passion for those areas. So, would biochemistry be right for me? Or biology? Or chemistry? A Ph.D. is one of these areas is a must for me. I thrive in academe.

Since I already have a B.A. from the early 90's and consider myself to be pretty intelligent and diligent (not trying to brag here), and since I don't have much money, I just plan to wing it, and give myself the equivalent of a "home-schooled" undergraduate education in one of the above science fields in just a few years. I will take some community college courses (free for low income people in California) for academic references, and beg my way into labs or internships if I need do. The sooner I get this done, the sooner I can apply for graduate school.

So, I need to get some introductory books to study on my own. Does anybody have any suggestions, or other advice for me?

Thanks!
Read 1202 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
So, would biochemistry be right for me? Or biology? Or chemistry? A Ph.D. is one of these areas is a must for me. I thrive in academe.

Biology is too basic - what stream are you interested in specifically? I'd do biochemistry just because it's more applicable to everyday life. All three subjects, however, will be quite difficult to study if you've been out of the system for a while (23 years?)

Since I already have a B.A. from the early 90's and consider myself to be pretty intelligent and diligent (not trying to brag here), and since I don't have much money, I just plan to wing it, and give myself the equivalent of a "home-schooled" undergraduate education in one of the above science fields in just a few years.

Winging it? Are you sure this is going to fly, mileena? You'll need to spend time in the lab and work your way into success. 'Winging it' would be something a community college student would look forward to (sorry if I'm hurting anyone's reputation here).

So, I need to get some introductory books to study on my own. Does anybody have any suggestions, or other advice for me?

These can easily be found online or at a local library, free of charge - I think this should be the least of your concerns. In addition, I don't think you need textbooks to study at the Ph.D. level; it's more research-based. You should know this very well. You'll need access to published journal articles - accounts to these usually come free when you're enrolled into a science program.
mileena Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thanks so much Barry for your answer.

I'm interested in becoming a researching human cancer and perhaps human obesity.

I know I have a tough road ahead of me, but I am going to succeed. I will try to get into as many college courses as I can to get lab and research experience, starting with community college. Hopefully I can find enough money for some upper level courses at good 4-year colleges later on.
wrote...
10 years ago
I honestly wish you all the best! You sound dedicated and ambitious - a good duo.

We'll be here for you when you need help!
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Your hard work and drive will get you far. We're rootin' for ya! Slight Smile
If you are reading this, you are awesome, and I wish you a happy and prosperous day!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  920 People Browsing
Related Images