r
d
l
a
LilMamaBad LilMamaBad
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I am not sure if I want to pursue a Masters in Molecular Biology/Developmental Biology or a Phd.

Heres my dilemma, I overall want to make a 6 figure salary but I am not sure if just a Masters degree is going to cut it

Also, will obtaining a Masters allow my salary to increase significantly every year like a PhD would?

I REALLY do not want to spend 5-6years completing a PhD but I REALLY REALLY like research so I am trying to tell myself that it will not be like a job but more like a career.

However, I keep thinking about it only takes 2 years for a Masters degree and suddenly a Masters sounds like the way to go.

Any suggestions?? Anything helps!
Read 2460 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
Heres my dilemma, I overall want to make a 6 figure salary but I am not sure if just a Masters degree is going to cut it

That made me laugh, sorry. Your goal in life is to make six figure ($ x00, 000)? Neither could make you six figure unless you find a job or start a business of your own. If you graduate with either of those credentials, unless you find a job, you won't be making anything. Those that make the most are usually passionate about what they are doing, and the money comes as a by-product of hard work at the lab, etc. Furthermore, you can't enter into any reputable PhD program unless you complete a masters program. You need the experience as a masters graduate in order to be accepted in a PhD program. If you complete your masters, you could earn yourself a job teaching at a community college or university, but that still won't enable you to earn six figures. You'll be lucky to earn 45 dollars an hour, teaching part-time -- still not enough.

I REALLY do not want to spend 5-6years completing a PhD but I REALLY REALLY like research so I am trying to tell myself that it will not be like a job but more like a career.

Unfortunately you have no choice here. Most studies take longer than a year to complete, so it's going to take you a minimum of four years doing your PhD plus two years as a masters student after four years as an undergrad.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
LilMamaBad Author
wrote...
10 years ago

Furthermore, you can't enter into any reputable PhD program unless you complete a masters program

I am sorry, where are  you getting your information from? I have an aunt who went straight to medical school after her BS to get her PhD. Never obtained her Masters.

There are SEVERAL schools where you can apply to obtain your PhD WITH OUT obtaining a Masters. For instance here is Harvard's requirements below.
http://www.hms.harvard.edu/dms/bbs/prospective/Admissions.html

For your information you CAN obtain a 6 figure (100K PLUS) a year. Granted, it might be a few years POST doctoral however you can obtain it.

A simply click on glassdoor.com (this site posts job salaries) or heck even monster or career builder will show you a Research Scientist salary
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
I am sorry, where are  you getting your information from? I have an aunt who went straight to medical school after her BS to get her PhD. Never obtained her Masters.

I have a masters degree in biology - similar to what you want to get into. "Medical school" is not a masters program in my books. Yes you can enter medical school from a BS (I never said you couldn't), but you never mentioned medical school in your original post -- if you did, it's not there anymore.

There are SEVERAL schools where you can apply to obtain your PhD WITH OUT obtaining a Masters. For instance here is Harvard's requirements below.
http://www.hms.harvard.ed...ospective/Admissions.html

Then, I hate to say it, but those schools are setting their students up for failure. Ivy league schools are totally different that normal universities. They set their students up really well after an undergraduate degree, since they only accept the most qualified/gifted high school students to enroll in the first place. I don't speak for all schools, but where I come from, and from whom I've spoken to, befriended, and acknowledged through experience, a masters program leads to a PhD program in research.

For your information you CAN obtain a 6 figure (100K PLUS) a year. Granted, it might be a few years POST doctoral however you can obtain it.

Okay, and who is going to pay you? Why are you being ignorant to my original post? I mentioned that there is no way in hell you'll make six figure if you don't have a job. Employers look for people who are most skilled and passionate. If money drives you and you have no passion, you'll be working at Starbucks for $10.50 an hour.

A simply click on glassdoor.com (this site posts job salaries) or heck even monster or career builder will show you a Research Scientist salary

According to that website, I should be making $55.60 an hour. Sadly, I don't make close to it.
- Bachelor of Science
LilMamaBad Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Ok well I haven't ever heard of needing to get a Masters to obtain a PhD. But maybe you do not live in the US and they do things differently in your country.

And of COURSE I know you can not obtain a salary with just a degree online. I am asking if I wanted to be a Research Scientist, would I be able to have the same salary (6 figures) as if I had a PhD?From my own findings, I do not think I would. I would be close, but not make as much. I also would be limited on my growth with that company. My aunt is telling me other wise. She said with more research experience, I could get there. But being the person that I am, I do not stand on just one persons assumptions alone. I like to do my own research. Thus the reason for this post.

But thanks for even commenting. Although my question was not answered, I appreciate the gratitude alone.
Thanks
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
Let's say you do end up getting your PhD after six years, post-graduate. You're now looking for a place where you can conduct research -- it could be at a university, pharmaceutical company, etc. Let's say you find a job-posting at a university and get an interview. They will ask you about your research credentials and that's when you tell them you've studied so-and-so. They end up liking you, and subsequently offer you a job as a lecturer (10 hours per week) and a researcher. Technically, this university isn't paying you to "teach", but more-so to conduct research and produce at least one research paper per year so to increase their reputation. If you are productive in doing research, the sky is the limit in terms of making money. I knew of one researcher I worked with that got a grant for 2.6 million to conduct research on a product that a private company wanted studies done. However, grant proposals are hard work, and attracting grant money is an important factor in getting promoted. Only full-time professors get those, and they are the ones making six figure - minimum. If you're not getting grants, you'll need to bribe your students to work for you for free over the summer months as you are conducting research because you don't have grant money to pay them, unless you pay them out of your pocket. The harder you work, the more you'll make once you've found a job. To put it in perspective, there are foreigners that come to North America with PhD credentials and work as taxi cab drivers because their credentials are not given merit here.
- Bachelor of Science
LilMamaBad Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Good analogy! Much to think on. I appreciate the information again.
wrote...
Donated
10 years ago
most *successful* professors are old too, which means something Smiling Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
Good analogy! Much to think on. I appreciate the information again.

No worries, but believe me, money making isn't an easy task. Are you enrolled in a post-secondary institution?
- Bachelor of Science
Answer rejected by topic starter
LilMamaBad Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, LilMamaBad

most *successful* professors are old too, which means something Smiling Face with Open Mouth

Good point  Wink Face
Post Merge: 10 years ago

No worries, but believe me, money making isn't an easy task. Are you enrolled in a post-secondary institution?

I am not enrolled yet. I have to submit my applications by the end of the year
wrote...
Donated
10 years ago
Get on that! Make money while you're young so that you can enjoy it while you're older Smiling Face with Open Mouth
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1069 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370