d
l
a
s
fatima2005 fatima2005
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Hi, can someone please help me with these questions?
If a patient has a left atrial infarction then:
1. What happens to the heart contraction and blood flow through the heart?
2. What type of outward problems might the patient have?
3. What recommendations might you give to the patient to
live a better life?
4. There are some things the patient better NOT do or he/she will die.
What are these things in general?
Thanks
Read 1364 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Fatima, what did you end up finding for this? Thinking Face
fatima2005 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
This is what I have so far.  I was thinking that if someone had a LA infarction, that part of the heart will be funtioning poorly.  Please let me know if this sounds right.  Thanks

If a patient has a left atrial infarction then:
1. What happens to the heart contraction and blood flow through the heart?
The forward movement of blood flow can be affected in two ways: it either builds in a heart chamber when the valve does not open completely (stenosis), or it leaks backwards when the valve does not close completely (regurgitation).  A valve can have stenosis and regurgitation at the same time.
Blood flows from the left atrium into the left ventricle through the open mitral valve; however, if the left atrium is not functioning properly, this oxygen-rich blood, from the lungs, might not be emptied properly into the left ventricle, and if there is blood backing up into the pulmonary veins, since the pulmonary vein dumps blood into the left atrium, the lungs are going to start to fail. This backward flow decreases the amount of oxygen the heart can deliver to the tissues with each beat.  Mitral stenosis occurs when the leaflets become scarred, rigid, and covered with hardened tissue and calcium deposits. When this happens, blood can’t flow forward easily, and pressure and fluid build-up (congestion )are transmitted back to the lungs. This can lead to shortness of breath and, over time, congestive heart failure—a condition where the heart can’t pump adequate amounts of blood. The primary cause of mitral stenosis is rheumatic fever, an autoimmune disease of childhood that begins with strep throat and affects many tissues in the body, especially the heart valves.
During mitral prolapse the tissue flaps of the mitral valve bulge, impairing blood flow to the left atrium.  Mitral regurgitation happens when the mitral valve cannot close properly and blood leaks backward into the left atrium, during mitral regurgitation the muscles that control the closing of the valve malfunction, the strings (chordae) that support the leaflets rupture, or the valve itself degenerates.
2. What type of outward problems might the patient have?
•   Fatigue, especially during times of increased physical activity
•   Palpitations
•   Shortness of breath with effort, when lying down, or during sleep
•   Swollen feet or ankles
•   Frequent respiratory infections, such as bronchitis
•   Heavy coughing, sometimes with blood-tinged sputum
•   Lung congestion
•   Heart murmur
•   Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
•   Blood clots
•   Pulmonary hypertension
•   Pulmonary edema
•   Shock
3. What recommendations might you give to the patient to live a better life?
•   Eat a nutritious diet that includes fish
•   Exercise regularly
•   Control of blood pressure
•   Avoid smoking
•   Avoid stimulants, including illegal drugs and excessive use of caffeine and alcohol
4. There are some things the patient better NOT do or he/she will die.
What are these things in general?
1.   Smoking
2.   Consumption of food high in sodium — body retains excess fluid ? causes swelling, breathing difficulties, fatigue
3.   Obesity
4.   Lack of physical activity

fatima2005 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Does any of this sound right?  I would like to know if what I typed sounds correct so that I can turn it in.  Could you please take a look at it and let me know? 
Thanks for your help lol
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Does any of this sound right?  I would like to know if what I typed sounds correct so that I can turn it in.  Could you please take a look at it and let me know? 
Thanks for your help lol

Hi, I read through it and it is very well put together. Concerning the accuracy of the information, I cannot say, but it's all included.

Hope you get an A.
fatima2005 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thanks for reviewing it.  Since I did not find much information on the internet this is my best effort.  I just hope it is ok.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
No worries... But I don't understand why they would assign something they haven't taught. These expectations are something really odd. I, for one, have a strict rule that if I haven't taught it in class, it won't be tested on.

Hi, I read through it and it is very well put together. Concerning the accuracy of the information, I cannot say, but it's all included.

Hope you get an A.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  807 People Browsing
 127 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293