l
t
S
m
s
snowbaby213 snowbaby213
wrote...
10 years ago
I can take the antiderivative of f(x) = (3 - 2x)^0.5 no problem; it equals 1/(1.5*-2) * (3 - 2x)^1.5, and with a bit of simplification it becomes -1/3 * (3 - 2x)^(3/2).

However, if I try to take the antiderivative of f(x) = (3 - 2x^2)^0.5, I get: 1/(1.5*-4x) * (3 - 2x^2)^1.5 -> -1/(6x) * (3 - 2x^2)^1.5. If I were to find the derivative of this function, I get back to the original function, but when I graph it on my calculator and take its derivative, it does NOT equal the original function for a given x value. What's wrong?
Read 222 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
There is no "chain rule for antiderivatives" that I know of. I'm not sure what technique you're using to find the antiderivative of (3 - 2x^2)^0.5. I think you may be inventing a theorem that doesn't actually exist, and that's why you aren't getting the correct answer.

In reality I think the antiderivative of this function may be an inverse trig function, but I'd have to look it up.

Edit: According to Wolfram Alpha the integral is (1/4) * [ 2x * sqrt(3 - 2x^2) + 3*sqrt(2) * arcsin((sqrt(2/3)*x)]

So like I said, there's an inverse trig function in there. Looks like integration by parts. Don't know if you've learned that.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  918 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274