t
S
m
s
neogene neogene
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago
I'm not a fan of volunteering organizations like the Red Cross due to my own ideology, but I'd like to get myself exposed to the medical field and I'd like to get myself more exposed and still help out (however limited it may be)  and so I'm raising money for a trip to Panama or Nicaragua next summer. The thing is, I'm sorely tempted to get involved with the procedures despite the fact that I'm still a lowly undergrad, and the program does say it's ok upon patient and the supervisor's consent. I personally don't mind cause it's better than no health care but I've been told that it's something medical professionals (etc, the admission people) could frown upon. What do you guys think?

Read 1307 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
I really don't see any problems with what you're doing. It's either you haven't articulated your story correctly, or you're missing something. Here's my take on what I just read.

1) You're an undergrad.
2) You want to volunteer overseas to gain experience in the medical field
3) You're saving money to do so

What's the problem Undecided
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
neogene Author
wrote...
10 years ago
There are some ethical issues where students like me without proper medical background with no professional credentials should not be physically involved with the treatment. It's completely unethical in the West, and it should not be done in the East as well
wrote...
10 years ago
It's completely unethical in the West, and it should not be done in the East as well

I don't think they'll let you administer needles and prescribe drugs. That's a little excessive, don't you think?

In addition, if you have the funds to do it, I say go for it, but you don't need to tell them everything - remember, people only know what you tell them.

Lastly, if you have the same opportunity at a local hospital, I say take that. In terms of anything unethical about this practice, there isn't one.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  910 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Gallery

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?