l
a
s
Questionasker Questionasker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a metaphor to describe allosteric regulation, where a substrate or cofactor can bind to an allosteric site, causing a conformational change in the active site.

Do you have any ideas? I have been scratching my head -- something like a lockbox with two key holes, or a front and back door to a house, or a bottle with two valves -- there has to be some common object that's a good analogy.

Thanks in advance.  Slight Smile
Read 1091 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
We know that enzymes should evolve to have a binding constant appropriate for optimizing their normal activity. But what defines normal activity for different enzymes? The two obvious constraints are speed and accuracy.

If we consider three professions, neurosurgeon, barber, and candy vendor, we intuitively appreciate that we cannot expect of each one an equal number of transactions with patients/customers per day. Surgeons need to be very discriminating in what/where they cut. Their speed should be no faster than that speed at which they will make no error. The art of cutting hair is not quite as exact, and barbers can proceed at a moderate speed. Vendors may clearly proceed at faster rates, since they may safely correct occasional errors with no harm to the customer.
wrote...
10 years ago
A relationship that involves cheating is like allosteric binding. A mistress is the cofactor that binds to the allosteric site. So then, the other cofactor gets removed because of the conformational change.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  811 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 308

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?