l
a
s
ppk ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
13 years ago
British scientists have used cloning to prevent incurable disease by mix-and-matching DNA between fertilized eggs. Some diseases are maternally inherited and are expressed in mitochondria, thus another mother is required. There are currently laws against this practice in Brittan and Dr. Turnbull is estimating a change in as little as 3 years, allowing the first babies to be born using this treatment. However, the child will technically have 3 parents.

opinions?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/science/two-moms-and-a-dad-researchers-create-human-embryo-with-three-dna-sets/article1535143/
Read 911 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
I don't know if a clone would work but it does seem like a better way to go if it were possible. I also think this is a little weird. On one hand i like that the mitochondria disease would be eliminated and the child would be able to live a normal life. But on the other hand I can't seem to wrap my head around three parents. The article stated more than once that in its defense all characteristics of the child would come from the mother and father. But technically, the normal life led by the child would come from the second mother. Something I thought while reading this, is it similar to having an organ donation? In many ways it is far different, but it seemed to me like those in favor of this new method act like there is no difference in terms of the donation of something by a third party (in this case mitochondria).
~Live well, laugh often, and love with all of your heart!~
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  790 People Browsing
 132 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79