l
t
S
m
s
slabbapop slabbapop
wrote...
12 years ago
Situation: Jessie opens a drawer to take out a bottle of vitamins.  Click here to see a demonstration of the maneuver and body position:
After taking out one pill from the bottle, he reaches for his coffee to wash his vitamin down and jerks his hand away realizing the cup was too hot. After letting it cool, he takes a sip and swallows his vitamin.

Nervous System.

Explain the mechanism behind Jessie’s hand involuntarily jerking away from the hot cup. (From the time heat is sensed to his hand jerking away)

What is the name given to this type of action?

I have f, g & h if anyone can help and can help on any of the labs.
Read 2241 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
This has been answered in several posts, what have you gotten so far?
slabbapop Author
wrote...
12 years ago
The other posts are about a different activity not this one.....i have f g and h of this activity i just need help with a-e..... If you look at my previous posts you will find where i wrote what i already have. Any help would be great. Thank you.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
The other posts are about a different activity not this one.....i have f g and h of this activity i just need help with a-e..... If you look at my previous posts you will find where i wrote what i already have. Any help would be great. Thank you.

True, I've been following this question for a while now and I've noticed no one has posted a definitive answer to the whole assignment.
slabbapop Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Here is what I just came up with for the first part of this question

Explain the mechanism behind Jessie’s hand involuntarily jerking away from the hot cup. (From the time heat is sensed to his hand jerking away)

When Jessie reaches for the cup, The receptors, or nerve endings, detect a threat or an event that requires the body's immediate attention which in this case is the hot cup. After the nerve endings have detected the heat from the cup, nerves, or neurons, carry the receptor's information to the central nervous system or (CNS). The integration center in the CNS determines the what Jessie’s body's response will be. Then motor neurons carry the integrating center's instruction to the appropriate part of Jessie’s body. An effector makes a necessary change to what's going on in Jessie’s body causing him to jerk his hand away from the cup.
slabbapop Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Here is what I came up with for the second part of the question. If anyone has something different than the answers I have here, please feel free to comment.

What is the name given to this type of action?

I believe the reflex used is known as the crossed-extensor reflex. It is commonly described as the bodies reflex to pull away from hot objects or when your body moves or jerks after feeling something sharp.
slabbapop Author
wrote...
12 years ago
I Still need help answering these:

Which bones of the body are used to go from the anatomical position to opening the drawer in front of him as seen in the demonstration video? (Discuss the bones in the upper extremity only)

Which joints are used, and what is the type of action for each joint (i.e. flexion, extension, etc.)? (Discuss the joints in the upper extremity only)

Which muscles are required to complete the action of pulling the drawer open as seen in the video? (Discuss the muscles in the upper extremity only)
wrote...
12 years ago
would the bones joints and muscles used be different than those that was used in the golf club scene. Just different postion opening the drawer?
slabbapop Author
wrote...
12 years ago
This is what I have for part 1 a,b,c:

a. Starting with the clavicle bones, then from there we go into the shoulder bones known as the scapulas. After comes the upper arms which is made up of the humerus bone. Then to the lower arms which is broken down into the ulna and radius bones.The wrist comes next  and is well known overall as the carpal bones which is broken down into several other bones known as hamate, pisiform, triquetral, lunate, trapezoid, trapezum, scaphold and the capitate. Then we move to the palm of the hand which is known as the metacarpals bones. Lastly we move into the fingers broken down into the phalanges, ditsals, middle and proximal bones. All the fingers were bent in some way, but the primary to fingers doing the work were the thumb which is broken down into distal phalanx, proximal phlanex and metacarpal bones. Both fingers were used in the process of holding the drawer knob.

b. The joints that are used in the upper extremities of this exercise are the following:
Shoulder joint which is the joint between the clavicle, humerus and scapula bones is known as the acromioclavicular joint. The action of this joint is extension. Next we have the proximal radioulnar joint which is at the top of the ulna and radius bones joining the humerus bone. It is also has an extension action. Lastly we have the distal radioulnar joint that joins the ulna and radius bones to the wrist bones. This is also has an action of extension. However, I believe that both flexion and extension were shown for each of these joints since they “extended” out to reach for the drawer but then flexion occurred once the drawer was being opened.

c. The primary muscles that were used in the following exercise while focusing on the upper extremities were the following: Starting with the shoulders, the deltoid, infraspinatus and the teres major muscles. Going to the arms starting from the top and working our way down, the triceps braachii, brachialis, brachioradilis, extensor carpi radialis jangus, extensor carpi ulnaris, extensor digitorum, and the flexor carpi radialis. Lastly we go to the hands which is made up of the thenar muscles.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  860 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 144

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?