r
d
l
a
chie chie
wrote...
Rep: 5 0
11 years ago
1.   This pedigree traces tongue rolling in a family.The ability to roll your tongue incontrolled by a dominant allele; people with the recessive allele cannot roll their tongue. Identify the phenotypes and genotypes of all the people shown in this pedigree.

2.   Duchenne muscular dystrophy is an X-­?linked recessive trait. The following pedigree shows the occurrence of this disorder in an extended family. Provide the phenotypes and genotypes of all the individuals in the pedigree.

3.   Lesh-­?Nyhan syndrome is an X-­?linked recessive disorder caused by a deficiency of a certain enzyme known as HPRT. Lack of HPRT leads to a build up a uric acid in the body, resulting in moderate mental retardation, poor muscle control, and the formation of crystals in the joints, kidneys, and nervous system. The following pedigree shows the occurrence of this disorder in a family. Provide the phenotypes and genotypes of all the individuals in the pedigree.

4.   Familial Mediterrenean Fever (FMF) results in short but recurring episode of fever, as well as pain in the chest, joins, and abdomen. The disease occurs most frequently in medittereanean descent. The gene responsible for FMF was discovered in chromosome 16 in 1997. The following pedigree shows the occurrence of this disorder of one family. How is FMF inherited?  Provide all the phenotypes and genotypes of all the individuals in the pedigree. Whose genotype can you not be sure of?
Source  McGraw-Hill Ryerson
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 10351 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
1. (RR = homozygotic tongue-rollers, Rr = heterozygotic non-tongue-roller carriers, rr=homozygotic non-tongue-rollers)
I-1:      RR
I-2:      Rr
II-1,5:      Rr
II-2,3,4:   RR
II-6:      rr or Rr
III-1:      RR
III-2,3:   Rr
III-4,5:   Rr or rr

2.(YX=unaffected males, Yx=affected males, XX=unaffected homozygotic females, Xx=unaffected heterozygotic female carriers, xx=homozygotic affected females)

I-1:        Xx
I-2:        YX
II-1:       Yx
II-2:       XX
II-3:       Xx
II-4:       YX
III-1:      Yx
III-2:      Xx
III-3:      YX
III-4:      XX

3. (YX=unaffected males, Yx=affected males, XX=unaffected homozygotic females, Xx=unaffected heterozygotic female carriers, xx=homozygotic affected females)

I-1:        Xx
I-2:        YX
II-1:       YX
II-2:       Xx
II-3:       YX
II-4:       XX
III-1:      Yx
III-2:      XX
III-3:      Xx

4. FMF is a autosomal recessive disorder. We can infer this because parents of affected progeny can be unaffected. Also, it cannot be X-linked recessive because an affected daughter (IV-2) has an unaffected father (III-4)

(RR = unaffected homozygotic, Rr = unaffected heterozygotic carriers, rr=affected homozygotic)

I-1,2:      Rr
II-1,2:      Rr
II-3:      rr
II-4:      RR or Rr
III-1:      rr
III-2,3,4:   Rr
IV-1:      Rr
IV-2:      rr
IV-3:      RR or Rr

Hence, we are not sure about the genotypes of II-4 or IV-3. They can be either unaffected homozygotic dominant, or they can be unaffected heterozygotic carriers.

Hope the formatting is clear in this post.
wrote...
3 years ago
Very helpful. Thank you.
wrote...
2 years ago
thank you
wrote...
3 months ago
Thanks
wrote...
3 months ago
The ability to roll one's tongue has long been a subject of fascination in the realm of genetics. While seemingly a simple and inconspicuous trait, the skill of rolling the tongue is governed by a combination of genetic factors that intertwine in a family's genetic tapestry. This pedigree explores the inheritance pattern of tongue rolling within a family, shedding light on the fascinating interplay of genes.

The study of tongue rolling in a family's pedigree provides a captivating glimpse into the intricate world of genetics. While seemingly straightforward, the ability to roll one's tongue is a nuanced trait influenced by the interplay of dominant and recessive alleles. As we delve deeper into the genetic code that shapes our physical characteristics, the tongue rolling pedigree serves as a microcosm, illustrating the complexity and diversity inherent in the inheritance of traits within a family.

Thank you.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1139 People Browsing
 143 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?