r
d
l
a
goldenanchor goldenanchor
wrote...
Rep: 7 0
10 years ago
Struggling with this homework question...

Construct a pedigree with this information:

John and Jane Jones’ newborn baby girl, Leah, has just been diagnosed with galactosemia. Prior to their genetic counseling appointment, they submitted this family history:
John and Jane’s older child, a son named Lee, does not have galactosemia.
John is the only child of Hanna and Harry.
Harry was an only child. Hanna has two older sisters, Hope (the oldest) and Holly.
Both Harry and Hanna’s parents lived in good health into their 80s.
Jane’s brother, Joe, is married to Jen. They have a son, Les, who is a healthy nine-year-old with myopia (nearsightedness) but no sign of galactosemia.
Jane’s mother, Hilda, is alive and healthy; Jane’s father, Henry, passed away last year of a sudden heart attack. Hilda and Henry have no family history of galactosemia.

Use the information in the family history to construct a pedigree for this family.
Drag the correct symbols to their appropriate locations on the pedigree below. Not all symbols will be used.

Source  Cambell Biology
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 25457 times
5 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
This might help
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
si-guy95,  layalal,  hellerkaila,  evangeline143,  BigBlueNation,  thomasreid,  ashleyrael,  heathtalon,  majiemichelle,  xjamal786,  loui-3,  keilbor,  morganwitt,  sozlat,  fezers89,  mporl,  tlb0041,  dfry,  bkussman2,  bahabash,  cfares,  jyeldell,  Fndeti,  abbeykramer,  10235,  MJay,  clarencecass,  whatsupmike,  Falesau,  trackmedic34,  Abraham1234,  lanadelrey27272
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
So you have to drag the right name and color to the right squares. The names will be easy, but some names will have 2 colors. Did it specify whether the red symbolizes carrier of the gene, or having the disease? Probably the first, since only one person has the disease (Leah).

Start at the bottom right, where you see a family with 2 kids. The kids are Leah and Lee, the parents are John and Jane. For Leah, you obviously pick the red circle. Her brother, Lee does not have the disease, so he is white (he was apparently tested).

John and Jane are both carriers, so you need to pick the red symbols.

John goes on the right because he was an only child, of Hanna and Harry. There is only one option for Hanna (left), she was no carrier. Harry (second row from above, most right).

The one on the bottom row, left, is Les, the nine year old. His parents are Joe and Jen.

I am a bit confused where the mutation came from, since it looks as if John cannot be carrier, since both his parents only have a white symbol. Does your question say what the red stands for exactly? If would help if you could clarify.
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
wrote...
10 years ago
I am having issues with this question too! I was told that I labeled two of the choices incorrectly
Answer accepted by topic starter
goldenanchor Authorgoldenanchor
wrote...
Rep: 7 0
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 310 words.