t
S
m
s
freeblue freeblue
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I understand this chapter for the most part, but I really can't solve this one question. Sorry, I couldn't get the question all in one screenshot so I had to use two! Thanks in advance for the help!
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 14389 times
21 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
padrepadre
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
Top Poster
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 120 words and 1 attached file(s).
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
gw234,  Naiyu,  jamesong564,  noodleboy123,  arona828,  Plesko,  bio_man,  Jenna Duursma
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile

Related Topics

wrote...
9 years ago
Thanks
wrote...
9 years ago
Thanks for the great explanations! really helpful  Smiling Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Given the feedback, I'm marking this as solved, unless someone else can come up with something.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
A good method for calculating probabilities in pedigrees is to consider the requirements for a certain outcome.

For question 1, the following are required for IV-3 to have condition A (aa):
II-5 has the genotype Aa (probability = 2/3).
If II-5 has the genotype Aa (accounted for by the above probability), then he passes an a allele to III-4 (probability = 1/2).
If III-4 has the genotype Aa (accounted for by the above probability), then she passes an a allele to IV-3 (probability = 1/2).
II-7 has the genotype Aa (probability = 2/3).
If II-7 has the genotype Aa (accounted for by the above probability), then he passes an a allele to III-5 (probability = 1/2).
If III-5 has the genotype Aa (accounted for by the above probability), then he passes an a allele to IV-3 (probability = 1/2).

All of these requirements are needed in sequence, so you apply the product rule (2/3 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 2/3 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/36).

Similarly, for question 2, the following are required for IV-3 to have condition B:
II-4 passes an X b chromosome to III-4 (probability = 1/2).
If III-4 has the genotype X B X b (accounted for by the above probability), then she passes an X b chromosome to IV-3 (probability = 1/2).
III-5 passes a Y chromosome to IV-3 (probability = 1/2).

All of these requirements are needed in sequence, so you apply the product rule here, too (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/8).

Once the individual probabilities are known, the sum and/or product rules can be used for various combinations (both conditions, either condition, etc.)
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank You
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you
wrote...
8 years ago
No, we dont.  Or I dont.  Ive read your all your posts since we started posing the question, and I can find no answer.

You may think youve answered it, but in that case, you need to link to it, so that we can figure out why your answer doesnt look like one to us.

Do you understand that you cannot begin to calculate a probability until a you know what event or class of events you are calculating the probability of and b under what conditions the probability is to be calculated for?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
8 years ago
Upwards Arrow My post has the accepted answer...
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
8 years ago
 Grinning Face
wrote...
5 years ago
 Smiling Face with Glasses
wrote...
5 years ago
Thank you!!
wrote...
5 years ago
Thank you!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1068 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 387