t
S
m
s
hornsbyp101 hornsbyp101
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
IN Chemistry: The central science, Volume I (12th ed.). Chapter 7 : End of Chapter question 7.38

In the ionic compounds LiF, NaCl, KBr, and RbI, the measured cation–anion distances are 2.01 Å (Li–F), 2.82 Å (Na–Cl), 3.30 Å (K–Br), and 3.67 Å (Rb–I), respectively.

1. Predict the cation–anion distance using the values of ionic radii given in Figure 7.7, on page 257 in the textbook.
2. Calculate the difference between the experimentally measured ion–ion distances and the ones predicted from Figure 7.7. Assuming we have an accuracy of 0.04 Å in the measurement, would you say that the two sets of ion–ion distances are the same or not? Why, or why not?
Source  Chemistry: The central science, Volume I (12th ed.
Read 25014 times
61 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Attachment might help
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
JUNK999,  aqwaters,  Tonyboy21,  tiselove11,  ukrsophia,  Ardames,  shaneveyna,  trottcod000,  ansleyb,  nilolulu,  aajajh,  lesbianloser,  meep,  sydburnett,  bio_man,  ktb,  kennethspaul,  kcashwell,  Asdejesu,  KHawk,  raederkat,  theb3asty,  Awino
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
hornsbyp101 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thanks, do you know how the answers were developed.  Steps in getting the correct answer.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Thanks, do you know how the answers were developed.  Steps in getting the correct answer.

No, I actually found them on a website and simply copied it here.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
When I did out the math, I came to the answers repsectively of 1.85,2.68,3.23,3.59 angstrom. Did I calculate incorrectly?
tdburt,  bio_man
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you man I appreciate it.
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you, says it's .04 accuracy, but I wasn't sure if it applied to the radius or the total distance, if radius then the distances would be "the same"
wrote...
9 years ago
Very helpful!
wrote...
9 years ago
How do you calculate the distances?
wrote...
8 years ago
To get the answer, using the table you add the values of the cations and anions, not the values of the neutral atoms.
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, bio_man
I've updated another topic with the correct answer:

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=558989
wrote...
5 years ago
Thanks, that was very helpful
wrote...
5 years ago
thanks!
wrote...
5 years ago
thankss
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  815 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?