a
t
i
r
r
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, Frank_Baker
She drinks. she just has to keep taking Epi-pens to survive drinking water.

All these ''water allergy'' sufferers get the skin reaction, even to their own tears (ruling out the cause being chlorine, etc) AND they can not tolerate drinking any form of water.

This is different from Aquagenic Urticaria, which is not a water allergy, and does NOT affect drinking.

It's consistent with H2O causing an IgE response.
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
So she goes into shock every-time she drinks water, so everyday of her entire life? I don't think so.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
9 years ago
That is what she (and other water allergists in the news) are claiming.

That's why I made this thread. To ask if water can be an IgE trigger
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Don't believe everything you read/watch in the media. Everyone is out trying to stir commotion or make a buck - ever think of it that way?
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Well there are photos of her with Epi-pens, and her skin reaction.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
And you take that as proof? This is supposed to be a scientific discussion.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
9 years ago
That's why I'm asking if it's possible for H2O to act as an IgE antigen.

There are receptors in the body which react to molecules as small as amino acids, how are IgE's different?
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
If I say no, then you'll say something like, she has a photo of an EpiPen. There's nothing we can say or do to satisfy your curiosity. You come across as real ignorant and not willing to learn or read. Stop filtering out everything that's science-related and replacing it with your imagination.

If you can't manage to do that, you'll force me to lock this topic and others alike.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Well how are IgE's different from other receptors (which can bind to very small molecules, such as amino acids)? Yet people say that you cannot be allergic to H2O, ethanol, etc because those molecules are too small.

I don't understand immunology well but isn't it the shape you need to trigger an IgE.. not the size of the molecule, and as I said receptors can bind to very small molecules such as melatonin, etc
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Stubborn - conversation closed.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1257 People Browsing
 119 Signed Up Today
Related Images