t
i
r
r
vadiva vadiva
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, vadiva
Enter your answers in the spaces provided. Save the file using your last name as the beginning of the file name (e.g., ruf_week6_exercises) and submit via “Assignments.” When appropriate, show your work. You can do the work by hand, scan/take a digital picture, and attach that file with your work.

1. A sports researcher gave a standard written test of eating habits to 12 randomly selected professionals, four each from baseball, football, and basketball. The results were as follows:

Eating Habits Scores
Baseball Players      Football Players      Basket ball players

34               27             35
   18               28             44
   21               67             47
   65               42             61

Is there a difference in eating habits among professionals in the three sports? (Use the .05 significance level.)
a.   Use the five steps of hypothesis testing.
b.   Sketch the distribution involved.
c.   Determine effect size.

2.   To study the effectiveness of treatments for insomnia, a sleep researcher conducted a study with 12 participants. Four participants were instructed to count sheep (Sheep Condition), four were told to concentrate on their breathing (Breathing Condition), and four were not given any special instructions. Over the next few days, measures were taken of how many minutes it took each participant to fall asleep. The average times for the participants in the Sheep Condition were 14, 28, 27, and 31; for those in the Breathing Condition, 25, 22, 17, and 14; and for those in the control condition, 45, 33, 30, and 41.
Do these results suggest that the different techniques have different effects?
(Use the .05 significance level.)
c.   Figure the effect size of the study.
d.   Explain your findings (including the logic of comparing within-group to between-group population variance estimates, how each of these is figured, and the F distribution).

Post Merge: 9 years ago

I need week 7 and possibly week 8 exercises and SPSS. Can anyone help with this please?
Read 1175 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
I have a different assignment for week seven sorry... my computer crashed during week four just now catching up.... this class is sooo hard.
vadiva Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I feel your pain. I cannot download the SPSS program that I paid for this class onto another computer either it wont let me. I have two different ones since the teacher is giving us the choice to do this or the one on file which I had just opened. Do you have this one?  if so please can you email me week 7 at vadiva@ymail.com
WEEK 7 – EXERCISES

Enter your answers in the spaces provided. Save the file using your last name as the beginning of the file name (e.g., ruf_week6_exercises) and submit via “Assignments.” When appropriate, show your work. You can do the work by hand, scan/take a digital picture, and attach that file with your work.

1. A sports researcher gave a standard written test of eating habits to 12 randomly selected professionals, four each from baseball, football, and basketball. The results were as follows:

Eating Habits Scores
Baseball Players
Football Players
Basketball Players
   Is there a difference in eating habits among professionals in the three sports? (Use the .05 significance level.)
a.   Use the five steps of hypothesis testing.
b.   Sketch the distribution involved.
c.   Determine effect size.

2.   To study the effectiveness of treatments for insomnia, a sleep researcher conducted a study with 12 participants. Four participants were instructed to count sheep (Sheep Condition), four were told to concentrate on their breathing (Breathing Condition), and four were not given any special instructions. Over the next few days, measures were taken of how many minutes it took each participant to fall asleep. The average times for the participants in the Sheep Condition were 14, 28, 27, and 31; for those in the Breathing Condition, 25, 22, 17, and 14; and for those in the control condition, 45, 33, 30, and 41.
Do these results suggest that the different techniques have different effects?
(Use the .05 significance level.)
a.   Use the five steps of hypothesis testing.
b.   Sketch the distribution involved.
c.   Figure the effect size of the study.
d.   Explain your findings (including the logic of comparing within-group to between-group population variance estimates, how each of these is figured, and the F distribution).
wrote...
9 years ago

Eating Habits Scores
Baseball Players      Football Players      Basket ball players

34               27             35
   18               28             44
   21               67             47
   65               42             61

c.   Determine effect size.

Source of     Sum of       d.f.    Mean         F
 Variation     Squares              Squares

between      300.5          2     150.3       0.4872   
  error        2776.          9     308.4   
  total        3076.         11

The probability of this result, assuming the null hypothesis, is 0.630

Ho: No difference between the means

Ha: At least one of the means is different

P value of .63>.05 do not reject Ho
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
vadiva Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you so much for your help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1285 People Browsing
 115 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274