t
i
r
r
BigBuck92 BigBuck92
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Are there overlapping terms, for instance is crista a portion of the inner membrane or inner membrane space?  I have also heard of intercristal and intracristal space. 

Are those components of the Inner Membrane Space?

Is this understanding of their location correct: intercristal space is within the cristae or in the depth of the Inner Membrane Space closest to the mitochondria midline/center, whereas the intracristal space is between the cristae closer to the mitochondria's outer edge, like in the trough of the fold closest to the outer membrane? 

I am asking for confirmation on the intercristal/intracristal space.  I am also seeking an explanation on whether the inner membrane contains crista or whether they are in some weird way separate identities.
Read 680 times
7 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.

Related Topics

wrote...
9 years ago
thanks!
BigBuck92 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you so much Bio Man.  I was unclear before you gave that explanation.  Do you know about intercrista/intracrista space?  Could you add that to your graphic by chance?
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
The inter-membrane space delimits the region bound between the inner- and outer-mitochondrial membranes (hence the name). The intercristal space is also known as the mitochondrial matrix and is bound by the inner-mitochondrial membrane (also known as the cristal membrane).
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
BigBuck92 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Thanks again.  One more thing, I did not see intracristal space diagrammed on the picture you attached or within your helpful reply.  Intracristal space is another term I have heard thrown around.  Is this valid terminology, I have heard some people say that Intracristal space is not a real biological concept (or just made up).  My first question is: Is intracristal space a valid idea? Secondly: If it is a valid idea, what is it?!

Thank you so much.  I appreciate your replies.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Is this valid terminology, I have heard some people say that Intracristal space is not a real biological concept (or just made up).  My first question is: Is intracristal space a valid idea? Secondly: If it is a valid idea, what is it?!

Hey again, thing is, in my experience teaching and learning biology, I've never used that term, so in my mind, it's not important.
BigBuck92 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Thanks!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1360 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?