t
i
r
r
shinigamigo shinigamigo
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
9 years ago
Twenty-year-old Kevin groaned and clutched his abdomen as he lay on the emergency room gurney. He had just been diagnosed with acute appendicitis and was waiting to be taken to theoperating room (OR). Kevin was terrified of having general anesthesia. He hoped his fear wasn’t obvious to his older brother Cole, who was finishing medical school and thought he knew everything.
“Hang in there,” Cole said, for what seemed like the eighteenth time. “I’m sure they’ll get you upstairs as soon as they can. They don’t want that thing to burst.”
Kevin grunted. “I know…but does that anesthesia stuff work all the time? How can I not wake up when someone’s slicing my gut open?” Cole didn’t get a chance to say anything before an aide arrived to take Kevin to the OR.
In the OR, someone placed a mask over Kevin’s face and when he blinked, he suddenly found himself in a hospital room with Cole waiting in a chair by the bed. “Welcome back to consciousness, little brother. How’s your abdomen feel?”
Kevin frowned. “Not as bad as it did. So it’s over? How did I get here already?”
“You’ve been out for a few hours,” Cole chuckled, and then launched into the wonders of general anesthesia. “Certain neurons have to depolarize and undergo an action potential to maintain consciousness, but some anesthetics can hyperpolarize them and produce unconsciousness. The anesthetic binds to and opens a certain kind of potassium channel, which increases the “leak” current of potassium. However, it doesn’t affect the voltage-gated potassium channels. This inhibits the neurons, and therefore you aren’t conscious of the surgeons performing the procedure. Amazing!”

Short answer questions:
1. Define depolarization and hyperpolarization and their relationship to threshold.
2. What does Cole mean when he says that anesthesia “inhibits the neurons?”
3. If the anesthesia opens more potassium leak channels, why are Kevin’s neurons less likely to produce action potentials?
4. Suppose Kevin’s pre-op blood work indicates that his extracellular potassium concentration is much higher than usual. This condition is known as hyperkalemia and must be corrected before he can undergo surgery. One of the dangers of hyperkalemia is that it makes neurons and muscle cells more excitable. Why does elevated extracellular potassium have this effect?
Read 7527 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
I'm working on this too, I have till Sunday, do you have the answers Crying Face
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
shinigamigo Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, shinigamigo
This is what I got:

1. -   Depolarization is defined as when a membrane potential becomes less negative and closer to zero than the resting potential. Membrane potential must be depolarized past the threshold, which is usually between -40 mV and -55 mV, in order to initiate an action potential. Hyperpolarization is defined as when the membrane potential becomes more negative than the resting potential. After an action potential has been initiated, the membrane potential is repolarized and then hyperpolarized. As the membrane potential becomes increasingly negative, action potential is inhibited because membrane potential cannot reach threshold.

2. -   Anesthesia inhibits the neurons because it interferes with the electrical activity of the brain. It blocks the synaptic transmission of neurotransmitters by blocking the receptor channels in neurons, specifically ion channels (Zhou et. al. 2012).  This interferes with the relay of signals from neuron to neuron which essentially inhibits the neurons because there is no information being relayed.
Works Cited:
Zhou, C., Liu, J., & Chen, X.-D. (2012). General anesthesia mediated by effects on ion channels. World Journal of Critical Care Medicine, 1(3), 80–93. doi:10.5492/wjccm.v1.i3.80

3. -   Kevin’s neurons are less likely to produce action potentials because a resting potential is generated largely because of potassium moving out of the cell down its concentration gradient due to open potassium leak channels. This makes the membrane potential more negative and closer to resting potential where the neuron is less likely to undergo action potentials.

4. -   When the extracellular concentration of potassium is high, the potassium will move down its gradient into the cell. Since an action potential is generated when the membrane potential is increasingly less negative, this will make it easier for the neuron to initiate an action potential. The threshold will be reached easily and action potentials will be generated making the neurons and muscle cells more excitable.

Hope that helps Slight Smile
Post Merge: 9 years ago

I'm working on this too, I have till Sunday, do you have the answers Crying Face

Oh sorry, i forgot to quote you. I'm new to this site so kinda confused on how it works. Hope you find your way to the answers though. I just posted them.
homeworkwoot
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1330 People Browsing
 110 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?