t
i
r
r
iScience iScience
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
they say cancer isn't contagious but doesn't that depend on whether or not it's in the blood? say cancer spread throughout and it's in the bloodstream. someone coughs up blood into your eyes, or on your food right before you eat it and swallow it (lol) wouldn't this leave possibilities?
Read 1088 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
The only transmittable cancer i know of is found in the population of Tasmanian devils. These poor devils are so imbread that much of their DNA is identical. These creatures are also highly aggressive, so when one Tasmanian devil bites another, it passes on these cancerous cells, which are then not recognized as foreign.

However, this is the only example i know of. Other than this specific isolated case, cancers are not "contagious".

This artical speaks of one other type: canine transmissible venereal tumor (CTVT)

Source  http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/v27/n2s/abs/onc2009350a.html
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Cancer is not contagious. Even if it were, it would elicit an immune response in the recipient.
iScience Author
wrote...
9 years ago
curious, if the transmit host and recipient host had the same blood type what other factors differentiate foreign cell from host cell?
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Still wouldn't work. Your cells have custom self-antigens that no one else has.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1386 People Browsing
 134 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?