t
i
r
r
Frank_Baker Frank_Baker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
 I remember one small article which I read in some magazine long back had one experiment given for readers. According to which If you pour normal water on the hand of sleeping person and then shouted as if it was boiling water (you have to convince that person that it was boiling water in seconds) that person's hand will show burn wounds. People induced to dream of being hurt in hypnosis, get the same injuries.
Read 1701 times
19 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
You might wake up warm, but otherwise there's no such thing. That article could have been written by anyone anywhere. Try it yourself, have someone do it do you lol
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I'm scared to.

Well, the nocebo effect exists so why couldn't it cause something like this?
Hypnosis dreams cause burn blisters http://hc.rediris.es/pub/bscw.cgi/d5001060/Paul-Production_blisters_hypnotic_suggestion.pdf

I also read from someone about a man who died of pneumonia after repeatedly dreaming of freezing.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Well, the nocebo effect exists so why couldn't it cause something like this?
Hypnosis dreams cause burn blisters http://hc.rediris.es/pub/bscw.cgi/d5001060/Paul-Production_blisters_hypnotic_suggestion.pdf

Many of these observations happened 50+ years ago. You're living in the past!

I also read from someone about a man who died of pneumonia after repeatedly dreaming of freezing.

I believe you wrote a thread on this not too long ago.

It doesn't hurt to believe in such things, but there is nothing scientific about them - bottom-line.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Well, nocebo effect can cause a lot of things, so why not this?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Well, nocebo effect can cause a lot of things, so why not this?

Because there are limitations to everything.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
What do you think of the story of Nick Sitzman?
Is it possible to get hypothermia just by imagining the cold?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
No, that's beyond limitations. I would say it's impossible.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
The brain controls body temperature though.
Fevers are caused by the brain, the chemicals (pyrogens) released by the immune system turn the brain's thermostat up, and people can die from fevers.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
The brain controls body temperature though.
Fevers are caused by the brain, the chemicals (pyrogens) released by the immune system turn the brain's thermostat up, and people can die from fevers.

Right, the brain shuts down at around 45 degrees Celsius. How does this comment help your argument?
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
The brain can also cool the body.
So whose to say if the mind is tricked that it's cold, the brain won't turn the body's thermostat down and cause the person to get hypothermia?
Tibetan monks can raise and lower their body temp by thought alone.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
There are limitations. Exceeding 45 degrees Celcius will kill you.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Yes exactly.
Which is why Nick Sitzman died, his brain thought it was cold, so it caused the brain's thermostat to go down and he got hypothermia.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
When your body is cold, blood is shunted away from your peripheries. Your heart rate slows down, etc. No one can commit suicide by their thoughts, it goes against our biology, it goes against the laws of nature.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1406 People Browsing
 106 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431