i
r
r
Onyan Onyan
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Okay this just blows my mind.

I read an article in Nature magazine, LiveScience and Salon which said it's just an old myth that excess calories (eating more calories than you burn) causes weight gain etc. and likewise. so why is it that whenever I eat less I get thinner? I used to think it was a psychological effect based on the myth of calories being associated with how fat a person is but people do notice I am eating less by the change in my body shape.
Read 581 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I read an article in Nature magazine, LiveScience and Salon which said it's just an old myth that excess calories (eating more calories than you burn) causes weight gain etc. and likewise.

URL?
Onyan Author
wrote...
8 years ago
http://highintensityhealth.com/body-fat-linked-gut-bacteria-not-sluggish-metabolism/
They gain fat even if they aren't eating more calories than they burn.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
According the article:

Summary and Key Takeaways

"Imbalanced gut microbes affect body composition, inflammation, and metabolism in many different ways. The dysbiosis (gut bacteria imbalances) weakens your intestinal barrier and increases the burden of inflammatory molecules. Imbalanced gut microbes also increase the levels of unfavorable secondary metabolites, such as short-chain fatty acids (SCFA) and volatile organic compounds which affect fat cell synthesis and fat metabolism."

I don't think your claimed about eating less somehow increases weight gain matches the conclusions made by the author of this article.

You also mentioned Nature magazine, LiveScience and Salon. What are the sources to these?
Onyan Author
wrote...
8 years ago
the article implies a person infected with this bacteria will gain weight even if they're eating like only 1000 calories a day. (given my size my BMR is about 1400)
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
No, that's not true. Gut bacteria, the good type, help use digest food better. The microflora doesn't make us gain weight deliberately; weight gain results from poor eating habits, over eating, lack of physical exercise, and/or hormone imbalance steaming from the thyroid. Lacking good bacteria can cause things like diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, but never weight gain. I'm assuming those articles you referenced don't exist?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1317 People Browsing
 104 Signed Up Today
Gallery

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204