7 years ago
W
Read 192 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
7 years ago
Discriminate simply means to note differences between something. Prejudice is a negative opinion about something. You can discriminate that a piece of paper is a copy and not the original. They are not the same thing at all. Discrimination in the form of people is simply noting differences in people (I have red hair, my sister has brown. This is discriminating that she does not have red hair. It is a fact. It is not an opinion). Prejudice is negative opinions against a race, color, religion, etc. without knowledge of the group.
wrote...
7 years ago
Prejudice is the attitude toward a certain social group while Discrimination is the behavior or action toward that certain social group.

"Prejudice is an unjustified or incorrect attitude (usually negative) towards an individual based solely on the individual’s membership of a social group.

For example, a person may hold prejudiced views towards a certain race or gender etc. (e.g. sexist).

Discrimination is the behavior or actions, usually negative, towards an individual or group of people, especially on the basis of sex/race/social class, etc."
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
wrote...
Staff Member
7 years ago
Discrimination is the unfair or unequal treatment of individuals or groups, because of a ‘difference’.  Discrimination occurs as a result of people acting on their prejudices, which they have developed as a result of the society in which they grew up. Prejudices are reinforced and enhanced by ignorance, society, the media and the government.  Actions to reduce or elimination discrimination are to be favoured and fought for, but not at the expense of one group in favour of another as this then just continues the cycle of discrimination.  As individuals we can educate ourselves to overcome our own ignorance and prejudices rather than believing the stereotyping and negative images that society, the media and the government throw at us daily. Unfortunately, though discrimination is unlikely to ever disappear completely, as soon as we defeat it for one group another slips into their place in this never ending cycle…
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1263 People Browsing
 125 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370