s
m
c
c
Mr. SunSideAvenue Mr. SunSideAvenue
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
Hello, i'm a bit confused right now. I have to prepare a presentation about the Lac-Operon.
In the default state, the repressor is bound to the operator, therefore the Lac-Genes LacZ, LacY, LacA are not expressed, therefore no galactosidase and permease are made.
However permease is needed to get the lactose into the cell in the first place, whereas galactosidase turns lactose into allolactose and inactivates the repressor.
How can the permease and the galactosidase be expressed, if expression only takes place, when the repressor gets inactived.
How can lactose enter the cell and inactive the repressor, if permease-transcription is blocked before that?
To me it seems like this chicken and egg problem. Can someone explain please? Slight Smile
Read 51 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi Mr. SunSideAvenue, thanks for the question and your patience.

The operon is a model used to explain how bacteria depend on the food to regulate the proteins that it transcribes.

In the case of lactose, once it's taken in by the host cell, it acts to stop the repressor protein (transcribed from lacl gene) from getting in the way of RNA polymerase doing its job by transcribing mRNA downstream the operon.

Once this mRNA is made and then translated, enzymes form that breakdown the lactose. Once all the lactose has been broken down into glucose and galactose, there's no more lactose to stop the repressor from binding to the operator sequence. As a result, the repressor prevents the RNA polymerase from transcribing more enzymes.
Source  Excellent video: https://videos.homeworkclinic.com/watch/230/the-lac-operon-in-e-coli/
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  934 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 7
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?