j
l
d
y
sammismilez sammismilez
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A pregnant woman who is HIV positive is taking zidovudine. She is very concerned about her infant and says, My doctor said they won't even test my baby until she is 2 weeks old. I wish they would do it when she is born. What responses, by the nurse, are indicated?

1. Since you are taking zidovudine, a test at birth will not be accurate.
  2. The tests are much more accurate when your baby gets to be 2 weeks old.
  3. You can expect your baby to be tested at 1 month of age.
  4. Testing will continue until your baby is 1 year old.
  5. The most sensitive test is one done at 1 week of age.
Read 54 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Rationale 1: Testing can be done at birth if the mother is not taking zidovudine. If she is taking the medication, the test is not accurate.
Rationale 2: Tests become much more sensitive when the child reaches 2 weeks of age.
Rationale 3: Tests are repeated at 1 month of age.
Rationale 4: Infants are often retested at ages 6 and 12 months.
Rationale 5: A test at 1 week of age is not accurate in this patient's situation.

Global Rationale: Testing can be done at birth if the mother is not taking zidovudine. If she is taking the medication, the test is not accurate. Tests become much more sensitive when the child reaches 2 weeks of age. Tests are repeated at 1 month of age. Infants are often retested at ages 6 and 12 months. A test at 1 week of age is not accurate in this patient's situation.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1437 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 119
Closes: November 4